Fall Strata 2018
During last week’s Strata Data Conference, Datanami sat down to talk with Cloudera Chief Strategy Officer Mike Olson to talk about the state of big data, and where Cloudera offerings are headed next. Here’s a rehash of that conversation.
When Olson co-founded Cloudera in 2008 and served as its first CEO, Apache Hadoop was just starting to register as a blip on the radar screens of tech executives, who were wondering how they were going to store all that data and what they could do with it. Read more…
Feature Articles from Fall Strata 2018
While there was heavy cloud cover in New York this week, cloud computing could be seen lifting Strata Data Conference, where vendors scrambled to ensure their products can support cloud and on-premise environments simultaneously, which necessitated a steady diet of Special K.
If a Strata attendee had a nickel for every time she heard a particular big data vendor supports cloud, multi-cloud, or — Read more…
Facebook recently lost $120 billion in market cap in a single day, citing three reasons for its Q2 earnings miss and lowered earnings expectations: the Cambridge Analytica scandal, global currency fluctuations and the General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR. Yet it is noteworthy that Q2 2018 only saw five weeks where GDPR was in effect, and two of the three factors Facebook called out were related to influences from GDPR. Read more…
Today marks the start of the fall Strata Data Conference in New York City, which has traditionally been the big data community’s biggest show of the year. It’s been a wild ride for the big data crowd in 2018, one that’s brought its share of highs and lows. Now it’s worth taking some time to consider where big data has come, and where it’s possibly headed in the future. Read more…
For all the progress that companies are making on their big data projects, there’s one big hurdle holding them back: complexity. Because of the high level of technical complexity that big data tech entails and the lack of data science skills, companies are not achieving everything the’d like to with big data. Read more…
News in Brief from Fall Strata 2018
Datanami this week unveiled the winners of the 2018 Reader’s Choice Awards, which honors the companies, products, and projects that rose to the top in the big data community this year. Also unveiled were the Editors’ Choice Awards, which gives Datanami editors a chance to honor those companies, products, and projects that also deserve recognition. Read more…
Compliance with new European data privacy regulations was spotty in the first three months after the rules took effect at the end of May, with an estimated 70 percent of global companies failing to comply with requests for personal data within the required one-month time period.
According to a survey released this week by cloud data integration specialist Talend, compliance with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) was actually higher outside Europe. Read more…
Data management vendors continue to target the growing number of cloud-native NoSQL database applications while shifting their platforms to Docker containers to handle microservices-based apps.
Among them is Rubrik, which this week rolled out the latest version of its data protection platform upgraded to handle cloud-based applications on NoSQL databases, including Cassandra and MongoDB. Read more…
StreamSets, which bills itself as the “air traffic control” tasked with preventing collisions from occurring with big data, today announced that it raised $35 million, which it will use to continue building its data operations, or DataOps, platform. The company also announced greater support for cloud environments.
StreamSets says DataOps has grown in importance as companies re-architect their “data supply chain” Read more…
Streaming and other data applications continue to be paired with microservices as streaming data shake up application designs targeting AI, machine learning and other data-driven use cases.
The latest to jump on the microservices bandwagon via the Kubernetes cluster orchestrator is Lightbend Inc., which this week launched the latest version of its data platform tuned to developing and running streaming applications. Read more…
Enterprises that are looking to push transactional data from on-premise systems into Google’s cloud environment may want to check out the latest from Attunity, which today announced support for Google Cloud Platform with its change data capture (CDC) software.
Attunity already supported Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure with its CDC software, which automatically detects changes made to production data repositories and replicates those changes to target systems in a ready-to-use format. Read more…
Hortonworks, IBM and Red Hat today announced they’re banding together to build a consistent hybrid computing architecture for big data workloads. Dubbed the Open Hybrid Architecture Initiative, the program pledges simplicity of deployment and freedom of movement for data apps.
The rapid ascent of cloud computing platforms like AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud has given enterprises abundant new options for storing data and deploying processing-intensive applications, such as deep learning and real-time stream processing. Read more…
This Just In from Fall Strata 2018
- Zaloni’s New Release Enables Self-Service Data Across the Enterprise – (9/13/2018)
- MemSQL Showcases How to Solve Data Challenges with a Modern Database at Strata Data Conference – (9/13/2018)
- Zoomdata Launches Global Reseller Partner Program – (9/12/2018)
- Bloomberg Launches Linked Open Data Website – (9/12/2018)
- MapR and Waterline Data Collaborate on Data Catalog for Machine Learning-Driven AI and Analytics – (9/12/2018)
- BlueData Announces General Availability on Google Cloud Platform and Microsoft Azure – (9/12/2018)
- BlueData Brings On-Demand Provisioning and Automation to Dell EMC Ready Solutions for Big Data – (9/11/2018)
- Pepperdata Announces Major Enterprise-Grade Capabilities, Enhanced Usability and Services – (9/11/2018)
- Zoomdata Partners with South America’s Biggest Payment Processing Company – (9/11/2018)
- Syncsort Integrate Updates Address Market Shift Toward Versatile Streaming Data Architectures – (9/11/2018)
- O’Reilly and Cloudera Announce Inaugural Strata Data Awards Finalists – (9/11/2018)
- Striim Expands Integration With Microsoft Cloud Services, Solutions – (9/11/2018)
- Hortonworks, IBM, Red Hat Collaborate to Accelerate Containerized Big Data Workloads for Hybrid Architectures – (9/11/2018)
- Striim Bolsters Integration with Apache Kudu – (9/11/2018)
- StreamSets Raises $35 Million in Series C Funding Round Led by Harmony Partners – (9/11/2018)
- MapR Introduces 6 New Data Science Offerings – (9/11/2018)
- New O’Reilly Book on AI and Analytics in Production Authored by Experts from MapR – (9/11/2018)