App Developers Embedding More Analytics
Enterprise applications increasingly come with embedded analytics features such as data visualization tools that serve to differentiate products from each other while helping businesses hang on to customers while attracting new ones, according to a vendor study of the embedded analytics landscape.
The annual survey released this week by Logi Analytics found that embedded analytics—the integration of analytics capabilities within business applications—continues to make headway among application developers. The survey found that 85 percent of respondents said they have embedded analytics within their applications.
The Logi Analytics survey estimates that embedded analytics now accounts for more than half the value of business applications. “It’s increasingly difficult for applications to compete without offering analytics,” the company asserts.
As analytics are embedded within more applications, the survey found that developers are moving up the value chain to offer new features like data visualizations, interactive dashboard and predictive analytics.
“This trend shows no sign of slowing down,” the survey authors note. “We expect more innovative features will emerge and the gap will continue to widen between applications evolving their analytics and those sticking with the basics.”
Along with predictive analytics, survey respondents cited a range of future embedded analytics features. They included AI tools, the ability to “write back to the database,” natural language generation and the ability to launch new work flows. All are seen as ways of differentiating emerging applications from competitors.
Product differentiation, cited by 62 percent of respondents, was seen as a key attribute of embedded analytics. Seventy-one percent of those polled said the integration of analytics into software applications resulted in increased company revenues.
Embedded tools also are touted as promoting the steady shift toward self-service analytics that help users find their own new data sources, for example. That, in turn, frees developers to concentrate on core applications. While about half of survey respondents said the embrace of embedded analytics has reduced the number of “ad hoc requests” received by developers, 31 percent said they saw no change in the number of requests.
Previous Logi Analytics surveys have argued that embedded analytics is overtaking traditional business intelligence tools as analytics are folded into more applications and as users seek greater functionality.
Hence, the vendor argues that the standard developer approach of using open-source libraries to build custom applications only works until customers demand more sophisticated capabilities. Meanwhile, so-called “bolt-on” tools fall short in terms of functionality. “Homegrown solutions are failing to keep up with market innovation,” the vendor survey argued.
Customer demand for data visualizations ranked highest (77 percent) followed by interactive dashboards and reports (65 percent), then self-service analysis capabilities and data preparation (both 63 percent).
Logi Analytics, McLean, Va., said it surveyed more than 500 managers and developers during November and December 2017.
February 28, 2020
- DSI Team Wins Facebook Award to Enhance Machine Learning Models
- Alegion Launches Alegion Flex for Data Science Teams
- Accenture Acquires Boutique Australian Consultancy AlphaBeta Advisors
- SoftIron Co-Founder, Mark Chen, Returns to Company as Chief Security Officer
- SoftwareReviews Announces 2020 Big Data Quadrant Awards
February 27, 2020
- Talend Accelerates Path to Revealing the Intelligence in Data
- Study Reveals Hidden Drivers of AI Adoption
- IBM Services and C3.ai Announce Strategic Alliance for Digital Transformation With AI
- Yellowbrick Accelerates Its Market Momentum
February 26, 2020
- Infinidat Crosses 6 Exabyte Milestone for Total Storage Deployed
- Cartesiam AI Development Environment Brings Artificial Intelligence, Learning, and Inference to Everyday Objects
- Tableau 2020.1 Delivers Community-Driven Features, Including Dynamic Parameters, Visualization Animations, and Admin Tools
- SensiML Delivers AI-Based Sensor Algorithms for IoT Endpoints
- NC State Athletics Taps SAS Sports Analytics to Identify ‘5-Star Fans’ and Improve Fan Engagement
- LogRhythm Breaks Sales Records
- Qumulo Releases Next Generation of Hybrid Cloud File Storage
- RapidMiner Extends Its Platform to Full-Time Coders and BI Users with Version 9.6
February 25, 2020
- Privitar Announces Latest Release of its Privitar Data Privacy Platform
- Elastic Debuts Integrated Security Offering at RSA 2020
- 1touch.io Launches Advanced Data Discovery and Classification Platform
Most Read Features
- ML and BI Are Coming Together, Gartner Says
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- How the Coronavirus Response Is Aided by Analytics
- The Secret to Data and Analytics Success Is…People
- Room for Improvement in Data Quality, Report Says
- How to Build a Better Machine Learning Pipeline
- An Open Source Alternative to AWS SageMaker
- Make Your Own AI
- Demand for Data Engineers Up 50%, Report Says
- Big Data Predictions: What 2020 Will Bring
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- ‘Dear Larry’: NewSQL Vendor Trolls Oracle Chairman
- Python Dominates, Usage Survey Confirms
- Oracle Sees AI Advancing Finance, Supply Chains
- War Unfolding for Control of Elasticsearch
- Inside Fortnite’s Massive Data Analytics Pipeline
- Tick Data Comes to BigQuery
- Google Adds In-Memory BI Option to BigQuery
- HPE Acquires MapR
- Google Advances Data Set Search Tool
- Defenses Emerge to Combat Adversarial AI
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- Spark + AI Summit Reveals 2020 Keynote Speakers and Expanded Training
- Okera Enhances Automatic Discovery of Sensitive Data Using Machine Learning
- Snowflake Announces General Availability on Google Cloud
- Sisense Expands Presence in Australia to Support Growing Demand for Business Intelligence, Data Analytics
- Dell EMC Unveils Streaming Data Platform
- Okera Delivers Real-Time Actionable Insights into Data Lakes
- Luminoso Announces AI Application for Better Search Engine Results
- Lytics Announces Built-In Integration with Google Cloud BigQuery
- Iguazio Deployed by Payoneer to Prevent Fraud with Real-time Machine Learning
- Elastic Announces the General Availability of Elastic App Search on Elasticsearch Service
- More This Just In…