App Developers Embedding More Analytics
Enterprise applications increasingly come with embedded analytics features such as data visualization tools that serve to differentiate products from each other while helping businesses hang on to customers while attracting new ones, according to a vendor study of the embedded analytics landscape.
The annual survey released this week by Logi Analytics found that embedded analytics—the integration of analytics capabilities within business applications—continues to make headway among application developers. The survey found that 85 percent of respondents said they have embedded analytics within their applications.
The Logi Analytics survey estimates that embedded analytics now accounts for more than half the value of business applications. “It’s increasingly difficult for applications to compete without offering analytics,” the company asserts.
As analytics are embedded within more applications, the survey found that developers are moving up the value chain to offer new features like data visualizations, interactive dashboard and predictive analytics.
“This trend shows no sign of slowing down,” the survey authors note. “We expect more innovative features will emerge and the gap will continue to widen between applications evolving their analytics and those sticking with the basics.”
Along with predictive analytics, survey respondents cited a range of future embedded analytics features. They included AI tools, the ability to “write back to the database,” natural language generation and the ability to launch new work flows. All are seen as ways of differentiating emerging applications from competitors.
Product differentiation, cited by 62 percent of respondents, was seen as a key attribute of embedded analytics. Seventy-one percent of those polled said the integration of analytics into software applications resulted in increased company revenues.
Embedded tools also are touted as promoting the steady shift toward self-service analytics that help users find their own new data sources, for example. That, in turn, frees developers to concentrate on core applications. While about half of survey respondents said the embrace of embedded analytics has reduced the number of “ad hoc requests” received by developers, 31 percent said they saw no change in the number of requests.
Previous Logi Analytics surveys have argued that embedded analytics is overtaking traditional business intelligence tools as analytics are folded into more applications and as users seek greater functionality.
Hence, the vendor argues that the standard developer approach of using open-source libraries to build custom applications only works until customers demand more sophisticated capabilities. Meanwhile, so-called “bolt-on” tools fall short in terms of functionality. “Homegrown solutions are failing to keep up with market innovation,” the vendor survey argued.
Customer demand for data visualizations ranked highest (77 percent) followed by interactive dashboards and reports (65 percent), then self-service analysis capabilities and data preparation (both 63 percent).
Logi Analytics, McLean, Va., said it surveyed more than 500 managers and developers during November and December 2017.
October 20, 2021
- OctoML Announces Collaboration with Arm for ML Models
- VAST Data Introduces VASTOS Version 4
- DAS42 and AtScale Partner to Deliver Advanced Data Technology Solutions
- Iguazio MLOps Platform Now Supports Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP
- Credo AI Emerges from Stealth to Help Organizations Build Ethical AI
- Exxact Partners with SoftIron to Provide Ceph-Based Software Defined Storage Solutions
- TigerGraph, HPE, and Xilinx Announce Graph Analytics Solution for the Enterprise
October 19, 2021
- Quantum Announces Partnership with IBM for Next Generation of LTO Technology
- Scality Delivers Comprehensive Portfolio for Splunk SmartStore Deployments
- Splunk Announces Enhancements to its Enterprise Observability Portfolio
- Datatron Introduces New Features to MLOps and AI Governance Solution
- Snowflake Launches Media Data Cloud
- SolarWinds Introduces Database Mapper and Task Factory
- Tintri Expands VMstore Portfolio of NVMe-based Platforms
- Cockroach Labs Introduces CockroachDB Serverless
- AnalyticsIQ Marketing Data Now Available on AWS Data Exchange
- Query.AI Closes Oversubscribed $15 Million Series A Round
- Couchbase Introduces Couchbase Capella Hosted Database-as-a-Service on AWS
- SambaNova Introduces Enterprise Grade GPT AI-Powered Language Model
- Paradigm4 Launches flexFS for Geospatial Data in the Cloud
Most Read Features
- Google Cloud Gives Spanner a PostgreSQL Interface
- What Is Data Science? A Turing Award Winner Shares His View
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- One on One with Google Cloud Product Director Irina Farooq
- We’re In the Moneyball 3.0 Era. Here’s What It Means for Live Sports
- Who’s Winning In the $17B AIOps and Observability Market
- What’s the Difference Between AI, ML, Deep Learning, and Active Learning?
- SambaNova Brings Custom Silicon To Bear on High-End AI Workloads
- Five Real-World Applications for Sports Analytics
- Composite AI: What Is It, and Why You Need It
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- Data and AI Salaries Continue Upward March, O’Reilly Says
- Bigeye Observes $45 Million in Funding
- Data Prep Still Dominates Data Scientists’ Time, Survey Finds
- Why Is SAS Going Public?
- LinkedIn Open Sources Tech Behind 10,000-Node Hadoop Cluster
- Gartner Shuffles the Technology Deck with Latest ‘Hype Cycle’ Report
- Feature Stores Emerging as Must-Have Tech for Machine Learning
- Sisu Nabs $62M to Grow Data Analytics Biz
- The Next Breakthrough in Long-Term Data Storage is….Gold?
- Logistics Operators Look to Data, Technology for Advantage
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- TIBCO NOW 2021 Showcases Limitless Power of Data
- Esri Releases ArcGIS GeoBIM, Bringing Spatial Context to AEC Operations
- Databricks Acquires Low-code/No-code Company to Expand its Lakehouse Platform
- NetApp to Acquire CloudCheckr and Expand its Spot by NetApp CloudOps Platform
- PrivaceraCloud 4.0 Enables Governed Data Sharing Across the Open Cloud
- BriefCam Introduces Video Analytics Enabled on Deep Learning Cameras from Axis Communications
- Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC) Launches an Artificial Intelligence Benchmark (TPCx-AI)
- Sinequa Accelerates Time-to-Value with “Starter” Insight Apps
- Fluent Project Creators Announce Calyptia Cloud
- Indico Data Announces General Availability of Indico Unstructured Data Platform
- More This Just In…
Sponsored Partner Content
October 27 - October 28
November 29 - December 3
December 6 - December 10San Diego CA United States
February 7, 2022 - February 9, 2022Houston TX United States
June 26, 2022 - June 30, 2022Hollywood FL United States