Google Announces Open Source ML Compiler Project, OpenXLA
At its Next ‘22 event, Google Cloud announced the launch of an open source machine learning compiler ecosystem, OpenXLA.
OpenXLA is a community-led and open source ecosystem of ML compiler and infrastructure projects co-developed by Google and other AI/ML developers including AMD, Arm, Meta, NVIDIA, AWS, Intel, and Apple.
Incompatibilities between frameworks and hardware can impede ML development, and OpenXLA aims to address this by giving flexibility to developers when it comes to the frameworks and hardware they choose for ML projects.
According to the OpenXLA project charter, the objective of the project is to enable efficient lowering, optimization, and deployment of ML models from most major frameworks, such as PyTorch and TensorFlow, to any hardware backend (notably CPUs, GPUs, and ML ASICs) through collaborative work with major ML frameworks and hardware vendors.
In a blog post, Sachin Gupta, Google VP and GM of infrastructure, explains that the first objective for the new community project will be a collaborative evolution of the XLA compiler, a compiler that was developed to streamline modeling in TensorFlow through speeding up the training process and reducing overall memory consumption. The compiler is now being decoupled from TensorFlow, and OpenXLA will work to build StableHLO, a portable ML compute operation set which acts as a portability layer between machine-learning frameworks and compilers.
OpenXLA’s goals are listed as the following:
- Accelerate industry collaboration around XLA and build a vibrant OSS community.
- Share and receive feedback on the technical direction for OpenXLA and ensure it meets the needs of major users and contributors.
- Set up a new XLA repository or organization with independent build/test, with infra to more easily accept PRs, and that is hardware and framework independent.
- Ensure the extraction of XLA from TensorFlow is minimally disruptive to existing users and contributors.
- Create a product identity with its own brand, website, docs, and communication channels.
- Discuss establishment of governance outside TensorFlow.
“At Google, we believe open-source software is essential to overcoming the challenges associated with inflexible strategies. And as the leading Cloud Native Computing Foundation contributor, we have over two decades of experience working with the community to turn OSS projects into accessible, transparent catalysts for technological advance. We’re committed to open ecosystems of all kinds, and this commitment extends to AI/ML—we firmly believe no single company should own AI/ML innovation,” said Gupta.
Membership in OpenXLA is open to everyone involved in developing or integrating with XLA, including representatives of ML frameworks, hardware platforms, users, and integrators. To participate, members can request an invitation to join the GitHub organization and SIG Discord, to be announced at a later date.
February 7, 2023
- Lenovo and WEKA Announce Collaboration for New Hybrid Cloud Data Management Solutions
- SAS Joins CESMII to Accelerate the Adoption of Analytics and AI
- Denodo Named Customers’ Choice in the 2023 Gartner Peer Insights ‘Voice of the Customer’: Data Integration Tools
- Progress Completes Acquisition of MarkLogic
- Esri Releases New ArcGIS Reality Software to Capture the World in 3D
- Cribl Heads into 2023 with Massive Growth and Expanded Observability Product Suite
- MindsDB Raises $16.5M from Benchmark to Enhance More Applications with ML
- Ataccama Advances Data Observability and Processing with Snowflake Data Cloud for Joint Customers
- Kognitos Raises $6.75M Seed to Bring Generative AI to Enterprise Automation
- Fiddler Brings Advanced Actionable Insights and Rich Diagnostics to Model Performance Management
- Cloudian Hyperstore for AWS Outposts Available in AWS Marketplace
February 6, 2023
- Flash Memory Summit 2023 Call for Presentations Now Open
- Anthropic Forges Partnership With Google Cloud
February 3, 2023
- Popular Open-source Security Monitoring Platform Zeek Has Berkeley Lab Origins
- Lehigh University to Launch MicroBachelors and Pro Certificate Programs on edX
- Tuxera SMB Server Offers Novel Scale-out Feature Compatible With Linux
- SnapLogic Named a 2023 Gartner Peer Insights Customers’ Choice for Data Integration Tools
- Global Edge Computing Market Growth From 2022-2027: Technavio
- Ctrl+e Unveils Building Intelligence and Energy Management Platform
- Cybersecurity Firm U2opia Licenses ORNL Tech for Advanced Monitoring
Most Read Features
- Five Drivers Behind the Rapid Rise of Apache Flink
- The Drawbacks of ChatGPT for Production Conversational AI Systems
- Hallucinations, Plagiarism, and ChatGPT
- Are Databases Becoming Just Query Engines for Big Object Stores?
- Data Mesh Vs. Data Fabric: Understanding the Differences
- What’s Up with Cloud in 2023? Industry Predictions
- Large Language Models in 2023: Worth the Hype?
- Cloud Databases Are Maturing Rapidly, Gartner Says
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- Microsoft Seeks $10B Investment in OpenAI: Report
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- Mathematica Helps Crack Zodiac Killer’s Code
- Confluent to Develop Apache Flink Offering with Acquisition of Immerok
- Observability Primed for a Breakout 2023: Prediction
- Microsoft Announces ChatGPT-powered Bing, Google CEO Declares ‘Code Red’
- OpenAI’s New GPT-3.5 Chatbot Can Rhyme like Snoop Dogg
- Data Integration and Observability Provider Crux Nabs $50m in Funding
- You Can Now Get Priority Access to ChatGPT for $20 a Month
- DataRobot Notebooks for Data Science and the Enterprise Now Available
- Big Growth Forecasted for Big Data
- McKinsey Joins the Crowded Realm of MLOps with Acquisition of Iguazio
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- Google Cloud and Deloitte Boost Grocery Associate Productivity and Improve Customer Experience for Kroger
- AWS Announces General Availability of Amazon OpenSearch Serverless
- Databricks Partners with Crisp to Help Retailers Improve Supply Chain Visibility
- Oracle Announces Oracle Database 23c Beta
- Google Cloud Unveils New AI Tools for Retailers
- New Research Looks at the Future of ChatGPT and Generative AI in the Enterprise
- Mizuho Bank Selects Bloomberg’s BQuant Enterprise Solution to Enhance and Streamline Its Operations
- Matillion Highlights Major Company Growth and Product Evolution in 2022
- McKinsey Acquires Iguazio, a Leader in AI and ML Tech
- Samooha Announces $12.5M Series A Funding for Secure Data Collaboration
- More This Just In…
Sponsored Partner Content
February 15 - February 16San Francisco CA United States
February 20 @ 8:00 am - February 21 @ 5:00 pm
March 1 @ 8:00 am - March 2 @ 5:00 pm
March 28 @ 8:00 am - March 30 @ 5:00 pm
April 19 - April 20New York NY United States