TiDB 3.0 Officially Available for Public Preview
SAN MATEO, Calif., May 29, 2019 — PingCAP, a leading distributed database company that created and supports the popular open-source cloud-native NewSQL database, TiDB, announces that its newest version 3.0 is officially available for public preview. This version powers users to store up to hundreds of terabytes of data in TiDB with improved stability and performance gain in both transactional and analytical workloads.
“TiDB 3.0 is the most battle-tested version we have released to date, with significant performance improvements that will help enterprises use TiDB at a large scale with more confidence,” says co-founder and CTO Ed Huang of PingCAP. “It is the culmination of the experience of hundreds of in-production deployments, and incorporating feedback from our customers and the wider TiDB community.”
TiDB is a hybrid transactional and analytical processing (HTAP) database that powers both distributed transactions and real-time analytics in the same system. It is the most actively developed open source NewSQL database on GitHub. TiDB can be easily deployed in a public, private or multi-cloud environment, and features horizontal scalability, strong consistency, and high availability with MySQL compatibility.
TiDB is a popular alternative to or enhancement for MySQL, MariaDB, and Amazon Aurora. Some of the new features and improvements in version 3.0 are:
– Improved SQL standards compatibility with support for Views, Window Functions and role-based access control (RBAC)
– Further improvement in Cost-Based Optimizer (CBO) capabilities with better cost model and Join re-order
– Table partition support with Range partitioning and Hash partitioning to improve overall application performance including concurrent write
– Nearly twice the performance gain and latency reduction compared to previous stable version (2.1.8) in most OLTP scenarios
– Beta release of TiFlash, a new columnar store to boost OLAP performance
– Improvements to diagnosing queries performance with visual Query Tracing, Query Plan Management, and slow query analysis.
To try TiDB 3.0 in preview form in any Kubernetes-enabled cloud environment, use the TiDB Operator. TiDB 3.0 is expected to be Generally Available by the end of June 2019.
TiDB has been adopted in production by more than 300 companies, spanning industries from banking and e-commerce, to fintech, gaming, and travel. Its distributed transactional key-value storage component, TiKV, is an Incubating-level member project of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation.
PingCAP was founded in April 2015, and provides enterprise-level and cloud-based services and technology for TiDB, an open-source cloud-native NewSQL database which the company began building since its inception. Its mission is to build an HTAP database with global scalability, so companies can count on TiDB as its single unifying database solution, spend less time managing multiple databases, and more time delivering business value for their customers and users. PingCAP has a global customer base that includes Mobike, Bank of Beijing, Hulu, Shopee, BookMyShow, and UnionPay.