DataStax Delivers The First Serverless Database Available for Production in Multiple Regions and Multiple Clouds
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Sept. 14, 2021 — DataStax today announced that its flagship cloud database – Astra DB – can now easily be deployed in multiple cloud provider regions, empowering any organization to deliver engaging, interactive digital experiences for customers anywhere on the globe. Through its unique combination of pay-as-you-go serverless architecture and new multi-region capability, Astra DB can dramatically reduce the cost and complexity of replicating geo-distributed databases with always-on business continuity and built-in disaster recovery.
Astra DB is built on Apache Cassandra, the open source database used by companies such as Apple, Netflix and Walmart and thousands of others for demanding projects that need to deliver massive amounts of data to users around the world with zero downtime. DataStax has been focused on bringing the power of Cassandra to every developer and enterprise, for any project. With the new multi-region support in Astra DB, DataStax is putting the power of global high availability within the reach of any organization.
“Digital delivery in 2021 means low-latency global availability of data. Developers expect this type of capability on-demand with zero complexity. We are proud to deliver on this promise with today’s release of Astra DB Multi-Region,” said Ed Anuff, chief product officer at DataStax. “No longer the purview of just large global enterprises, it’s now essential for many organizations to have data available anywhere in the world to reliably and consistently deliver the digital experiences their customers demand. With Astra DB, any organization can now afford to deploy databases in multiple regions to quickly serve customers and benefit from always-on business continuity and disaster recovery.”
Barracuda Networks, Inc. is a leading provider of cloud-enabled security solutions. “At Barracuda, we strive to make the world a safer place with our cloud-enabled, enterprise-grade security solutions that protect email, networks, data, and applications. We’re excited about Astra DB multi-region because of its support for simple and cost-effective business continuity and disaster recovery means our customers receive the service they have come to expect,” said Fleming Shi, CTO, Barracuda Networks.
DataStax’s Astra DB with new multi-region support enables:
- Cost-effective always-on global expansion
- Put data where users are to deliver seamless digital experiences by reducing data latency
- Eliminate additional overhead for business continuity and disaster recovery with a pay-as-you-go model
- Keep applications and services always-on using the nearest cloud region deployment and back up.
- Data choice, freedom, and sovereignty
- Select geographic locations and cloud providers including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and the Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Meet data privacy and localization compliance requirements by having specific data in specific geographic locations.
- Fast implementation and multi-region scale
- Users can spin up a database and scale it to multiple regions, within minutes, all with a few clicks
Carl Olofson, IDC research vice president for database management software, explained, “The serverless architecture of Astra DB already makes more data management available at an affordable cost – you only pay for what you use. This is a big deal, it’s not easy, and it makes one of the core promises of the cloud—fungible resources on demand—real. With serverless Astra DB now multi-region, having a coordinated geo-distributed database is not just limited to big companies with big budgets.”
- DataStax Astra DB: Multi-cloud DBaaS built on Apache Cassandra
- Whitepaper: Why Enterprises Need DataStax Astra
DataStax delivers an open, multi-cloud data stack built on Apache Cassandra, the world’s most scalable database. The company’s marquee offering is Astra DB, the industry’s first and only open, multi-cloud serverless database. Built on a modern, Kubernetes-based architecture, Astra DB provides an unprecedented combination of pay-as-you-go data, simplified operations, and the freedom of multi-cloud and open source. DataStax also offers Astra Streaming, a multi-cloud messaging and event streaming platform built on Apache Pulsar.