AI-Based Drone Floated to Enforce Social Distancing
If desperate times call for desperate measures, then an AI-powered surveillance drone may find applications as pandemic fatigue erodes compliance with social distancing advisories in congested urban areas.
At least that’s the pitch from AI and analytics vendor Fractal Analytics, which has partnered with Indian drone technology manufacturer ideaForge to develop a flying video analytics platform. The partners claim the combination can be used to identify small crowds, generating alarms that are sent to local authorities.
Fractal notes that its drone monitors along with those from other developers are being used by authorities in India. Indeed, the journal New Scientist has reported on the U.S. startup Skylark Labs is also testing the technology in six Indian cities. The drones are being used to monitor compliance with evening curfews and social distancing in crowded cities.
The journal also reported on a drone system in Portugal equipped with a loudspeaker that spots and warns violators to keep their distance.
Whether AI-powered drone technology flies in the U.S. remains to be seen, given the civil liberties issues raised by aerial surveillance. Among the concerns is whether flying video analytics platforms include facial recognition capabilities that would conflict with data privacy regulations.
Undeterred, Fractal promotes its video analytics platform as helping reduce compliance infractions that would slow the current COVID-19 wildfire. The New York-based company whose technology is primarily used to stream applications from the cloud said its AI-driven image and video analytics scans video captured by ideaForge drones. It then alerts authorities to compliance violations, forwarding real-time video and location coordinates.
Drone footage is available here.
As COVID-19 infections and deaths spike, the company maintains “data generated during these flights provide law enforcement with the insights needed to help make strategic decisions.”
Still, many of the most egregious violations of social distancing rules occur during large indoor gatherings.
For example, several high-profile gatherings have been broken up by authorities in New York City, Los Angeles and other large U.S. cities. In one recent incident, residents of a suburban neighborhood reported to unusually heavy local traffic to authorities around a Long Island estate where 400 persons attended a party.
(Fractal has yet to respond to our query as to whether its platform includes facial recognition technology.)
Either way, the surveillance approach has its critics. “We cannot surveil and police our way out of an epidemic,” Matthew Guariglia at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, told the New Scientist.
September 23, 2021
- AtScale Expands Semantic Layer Solution for Microsoft Excel
- CNCF End User Technology Radar Provides Insights into DevSecOps
- At Annual OCEANS 2021, Sofar Ocean Debuts First-of-Its-Kind Maritime Open Standard, Bristlemouth
- Elastic Announces the General Availability of Elastic App Search Web Crawler, New Features for Elastic Enterprise Search
- Securonix Achieves FedRAMP In-Process Authorization
- EDJX and Cubic Corporation Partner to Launch the Internet of Military Things Edge Platform
September 22, 2021
- GigaOm Names Moogsoft an Industry Leader in “Radar for AIOps Solutions” Report
- Clearsense Acquires Plug-and-Play AI Analytics Firm
- Purdue University Global Launches Master of Science in Data Analytics
- Dihuni OptiReady CognitX Deep Learning Servers and Workstations Powered by NVIDIA Ampere Architecture-based GPUs
- Scality Awarded New U.S. Patent for Breakthrough Technology in Hyper-Scale Data Protection
- MicroAI to Bring AI Training to Renesas MCUs
- Recent Gartner VP Analyst Sanjeev Mohan Joins Okera as a Strategic Advisor
- C3 AI Reinvents Enterprise Software UX With C3 AI Data Vision
September 21, 2021
- Healthcare Analytics Summit 21 Virtual Kicks Off Today
- Tesco Selects Teradata Vantage to Drive Enterprise-Wide Analytics at Scale
- Ketch Secures $20 Million in Series A1 Funding, Accelerating its Rapid Growth
- Yandex Spins Off ClickHouse into Standalone Company
- Analytics Vidhya Announces $5.5 Million Strategic Investment from Fractal, Aims to Train Half a Million Full Stack AI Professionals
- Nutanix Cloud Platform Breaks Down Silos in Hybrid Multicloud Operations
Most Read Features
- One on One with Google Cloud Product Director Irina Farooq
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- Tabular Seeks to Remake Cloud Data Lakes in Iceberg’s Image
- What’s the Difference Between AI, ML, Deep Learning, and Active Learning?
- Who’s Winning In the $17B AIOps and Observability Market
- SambaNova Brings Custom Silicon To Bear on High-End AI Workloads
- In Search of the Modern Data Stack
- COVID-Driven Cloud Surge Takes a Toll on the Data
- Rethinking Education in an AI-First World
- Did Rockset Just Solve Real-Time Analytics?
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- LinkedIn Open Sources Tech Behind 10,000-Node Hadoop Cluster
- Data and AI Salaries Continue Upward March, O’Reilly Says
- Gartner Shuffles the Technology Deck with Latest ‘Hype Cycle’ Report
- Data Prep Still Dominates Data Scientists’ Time, Survey Finds
- Who’s Winning in Open Source Data Tech
- Can Apple Right its Privacy and Security Cart?
- Hands-Off: Manual Data Integration Tasks Plummeting, Gartner Says
- Why Is SAS Going Public?
- Apollo CEO Bullish on GraphQL’s Potential in the Enterprise
- Why Young Developers Don’t Get Knowledge Graphs
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- TIBCO NOW 2021 Showcases Limitless Power of Data
- Cribl Raises $200M in Series C Funding on Traction with Global Enterprise Customers
- Toloka Launches Data Research Grants, Announces First Eight Recipients
- Anaconda Announces Support for Pyston, Hiring Lead Developers Kevin Modzelewski and Marius Wachtler
- MariaDB Announces SIS Provider Campus Cloud Services Migration to MariaDB SkySQL
- Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC) Launches an Artificial Intelligence Benchmark (TPCx-AI)
- Kinetica Fuses Streaming and Contextual Analysis At Scale
- DataRobot Launches “DataRobot AI Cloud” Platform
- OneStream Previews New AI and ML Capabilities at Splash 2021
- JetBrains Launches Public Early-Access Program for JetBrains DataSpell IDE
- More This Just In…
Sponsored Partner Content
October 5 - October 7
October 12 - October 14
October 19London United Kingdom
October 27 - October 28
November 29 - December 3
December 6 - December 10San Diego CA United States