Updated Storage Platform Leverages Metadata
Venture capital keeps flowing into the big data sector as a seemingly never-ending line of analytics startups roll out data management and other platforms designed to scale to petabytes and beyond.
Case in point is Primary Data, a Silicon Valley startup that just announced a $40 million funding round along with the latest release of its automated data management platform. The company said Wednesday (Aug. 2) its latest round included a $20 million investment along with another $20 million line of credit.
Pelion Venture Partners, Accel and Battery Ventures led the round along with strategic investors from previous rounds. Primary Data said it would use its latest cash infusion to support the latest release of its DataSphere metadata engine software.
The startup based on Los Altos, Calif., also announced a string of partnership with Amazon Web Services (NASDAQ: AMZN), Cloudian , Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL), data storage and network provider NetApp, (NASDAQ: NTAP), Scality and (VMware NYSE: VMW).
Launched by David Flynn and Rick White, the original founders of storage vendor Fusion-io, Primary Data emerged from stealth mode in 2014 with its software-defined datacenter technologies. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak joined Primary Data late that year as its chief scientist.
The company’s metadata engine is designed to help automate how big data scaling to the cloud is managed across different storage systems.
The latest version of the DataSphere platform incorporates machine learning with data management to move “the right data to the right place at the right time” without affecting application performance, the company said.
The integration of machine learning with data management involves the collection of metadata on data access while measuring performance metrics like latency, bandwidth and storage availability. Data analytics are then applied against the metadata with the goal of matching storage and other requirements for performance, cost and reliability.
The platform’s namespace is intended to make different storage platforms simultaneously available to applications without degrading performance across flash, network-attached or cloud-based storage systems, the company claims.
“The days of manual data management are coming to an end,” Primary Data CEO Lance Smith asserted on a statement. “As data volumes scale out and up into the cloud, enterprises are looking for a way to intelligently manage and automate how data is managed across different storage systems.”
Added Wozniak: “When technology is complex, it often means we need to figure out a better solution to the problem.” The updated data virtualization platform is designed to make it “simple for enterprises to finally automate how data is managed by using the intelligence that has been sitting right there in your metadata all along.”
DataSphere 2.0 is available now from Primary Data or its reseller partners.
October 23, 2020
- GoodData Adds Enhanced Self-Service Tools to Drive Business Intelligence Adoption
- IBM and R3 Collaborate to Expand Blockchain Capabilities and Services Across Hybrid Cloud
- Amperity and Zendesk to Help Brands Offer Customer Personalization
- Quantum Tape Systems Safeguard Scientific Data for British Antarctic Survey
October 22, 2020
- Minitab Launches Launches New Solutions to Help Organizations Accelerate Digital Transformation
- AccuWeather Sponsors Climate Change Machine Learning Research Competition at University of Toronto
- Precisely Delivers First End-to-End Data Integrity Suite for Confident Business Decisions
- Centerity Recognized for Market-Leading AIOps Platform with Integrated Cyber Security
- Protegrity Unveils Vision for the Secure AI Era
- Qlik Acquires Blendr.io to Drive Real-time Data into SaaS Applications and Automate Enterprise Processes
October 21, 2020
- The AA Executes Hybrid Cloud Strategy for Data Analytics with Actian’s Avalanche Cloud Data Warehouse
- Exasol and Nuqleous Join Up to Bring Data Analytics to Retail and Consumer Product Companies
- InterSystems Partners with AtScale on New Adaptive Analytics Within IRIS Data Platform
- YottaDB Announces Octo 1.0, a Plugin for Using SQL to Query Data
- Anyscale Announces $40M in Series B Funding Led by NEA
- KIOXIA America to Showcase Next-Gen SSDs at Dell Technologies World
- Medallia Partners with Tableau to Help Companies Visualize Customer Experience Data
- Enterprise Strategy Group Finds Massive Cost and ROI Benefits from Yellowbrick Data Warehouse
- Machine Learning Capabilities Come to the Majority of Open Source Databases with MindsDB AI-Tables
October 20, 2020
Most Read Features
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- Systemic Data Errors Still Plague Presidential Polling
- Do You Need a Chief Data Scientist?
- Data Culture ‘Disconnect’ Identified in New Index
- How to Build a Better Machine Learning Pipeline
- VC Ben Horowitz Dishes on Hadoop, AI, and Data Culture
- How Geospatial Data Drives Insight for Bloomberg Users
- Is Python Strangling R to Death?
- 10 Big Data Statistics That Will Blow Your Mind
- Understanding Your Options for Stream Processing Frameworks
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- Qubole is Latest Acquisition Target
- Testing Data Literacy on Main Street
- Informatica Likes Its Chances in the Cloud
- Pandemic Driving ‘Back to Basics’ in Big Data, Study Suggests
- TigerGraph Offers Free Graph Database for On-Prem Analysis
- Palantir Looks to Build on Snowflake’s IPO Success
- AI Startup Uses FPGAs to Speed Training, Inference
- Patchwork of Data Privacy Laws Sows Confusion
- War Unfolding for Control of Elasticsearch
- New AI Tool Maps the Families of the Bible, A Song of Ice and Fire
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- Datanami Reveals Winners of Fifth Annual Readers’ and Editors’ Choice Awards
- Tableau Launches Free Data Literacy Training Program
- NASA, ICIJ, ATPCO, Lyft and More Choose Neo4j for their Knowledge Graphs
- Hazelcast to Provide Additional Capabilities to IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management
- Fujitsu Enters Strategic Alliance with Palantir Technologies
- Collibra Launches New Partner Program
- KNIME and H2O.ai Accelerate and Simplify End-to-end Data Science Automation
- Data Science Professor Receives $1.25 Million Grant from Department of Defense
- Alida Integrates Stratifyd AI-powered Analytics Engine into New CXM Platform
- Google Cloud Unveils AI and Machine Learning Privacy Commitment
- More This Just In…