Bigstep Adds Spark Service to Bare-Metal Cloud
A Spark-based analytics engine released last week runs on a low-latency, software-defined bare metal fabric and can scale Spark clusters and the IT infrastructure that supports them.
Bigstep, which has dual headquarters in London and Chicago, said its real-time Spark service is designed to speed deployment of real-time data streaming applications as more Spark implementations shift to the cloud. Among the emerging uses for such implementations are the Internet of Things and algorithm decision-making, Bigstep Founder and CEO Lucas Roh noted in a statement.
Roh added that Bigstep’s bare metal cloud platform would help reduce development requirements for its real-time Spark service. The company also said it would offer a “pay-per-use” container-based Spark cluster optimized for real-time streaming applications that use multiple concurrent Spark contexts.
A rapid prototyping feature includes a built-in Jupyter interface for Scala, Python or R programming languages. Jupyter Notebook is designed to allow data scientists to combine code, graphs, dashboards and descriptive texts within the same document while performing operations interactively.
Meanwhile, real-time data streaming applications run in parallel with other container application clusters.
The company added that its bare-metal fabric could run multiple Spark versions, including Spark 2.0, using the same pool of resources.
The introduction of the Spark platform follows the company’s release in early October of a real-time application container service designed specifically for streaming applications. The company said it container service also targets emerging infrastructure based on micro-services and memory-intensive workloads requiring low latency and higher performance.
The container service is based on Docker and can run distributed streaming applications on the company’s bare metal cloud. Those applications can be built on Spark Streaming, Apache Flink or the Heron streaming replacement for Apache Storm, the company said.
Persistent storage requirements have recently overtaken security as the top barrier to adoption of application containers in production. Hence, Bigstep stressed its real-time container service offers high-end persistent support, including storage volumes that follow containers as they move across clusters.
Meanwhile, the company said customers could deploy its new Spark service alongside either Zoomdata and Bigstep data lakes, or use it with applications deployed on-premises or on its managed container service.
September 24, 2021
- AWS Announces General Availability of Amazon QuickSight Q
- IDC’s 3rd Platform Industry Spending Guides Provide In-Depth Sub-Industry Forecasts for Technology Investments Across Nine Industries
- Scality Awarded US Patent for Hyperscale Data Protection
September 23, 2021
- AtScale Expands Semantic Layer Solution for Microsoft Excel
- CNCF End User Technology Radar Provides Insights into DevSecOps
- At Annual OCEANS 2021, Sofar Ocean Debuts First-of-Its-Kind Maritime Open Standard, Bristlemouth
- Elastic Announces the General Availability of Elastic App Search Web Crawler, New Features for Elastic Enterprise Search
- Securonix Achieves FedRAMP In-Process Authorization
- EDJX and Cubic Corporation Partner to Launch the Internet of Military Things Edge Platform
September 22, 2021
- GigaOm Names Moogsoft an Industry Leader in “Radar for AIOps Solutions” Report
- Clearsense Acquires Plug-and-Play AI Analytics Firm
- Purdue University Global Launches Master of Science in Data Analytics
- Dihuni OptiReady CognitX Deep Learning Servers and Workstations Powered by NVIDIA Ampere Architecture-based GPUs
- Scality Awarded New U.S. Patent for Breakthrough Technology in Hyper-Scale Data Protection
- MicroAI to Bring AI Training to Renesas MCUs
- Recent Gartner VP Analyst Sanjeev Mohan Joins Okera as a Strategic Advisor
- C3 AI Reinvents Enterprise Software UX With C3 AI Data Vision
September 21, 2021
- Healthcare Analytics Summit 21 Virtual Kicks Off Today
- Tesco Selects Teradata Vantage to Drive Enterprise-Wide Analytics at Scale
- Ketch Secures $20 Million in Series A1 Funding, Accelerating its Rapid Growth
Most Read Features
- One on One with Google Cloud Product Director Irina Farooq
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- Tabular Seeks to Remake Cloud Data Lakes in Iceberg’s Image
- What’s the Difference Between AI, ML, Deep Learning, and Active Learning?
- Who’s Winning In the $17B AIOps and Observability Market
- SambaNova Brings Custom Silicon To Bear on High-End AI Workloads
- How the Coronavirus Response Is Aided by Analytics
- In Search of the Modern Data Stack
- COVID-Driven Cloud Surge Takes a Toll on the Data
- Rethinking Education in an AI-First World
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- LinkedIn Open Sources Tech Behind 10,000-Node Hadoop Cluster
- Data and AI Salaries Continue Upward March, O’Reilly Says
- Data Prep Still Dominates Data Scientists’ Time, Survey Finds
- Gartner Shuffles the Technology Deck with Latest ‘Hype Cycle’ Report
- Who’s Winning in Open Source Data Tech
- Bigeye Observes $45 Million in Funding
- Hands-Off: Manual Data Integration Tasks Plummeting, Gartner Says
- Apollo CEO Bullish on GraphQL’s Potential in the Enterprise
- Why Is SAS Going Public?
- Unstructured Data Growth Wearing Holes in IT Budgets
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- TIBCO NOW 2021 Showcases Limitless Power of Data
- Toloka Launches Data Research Grants, Announces First Eight Recipients
- Anaconda Announces Support for Pyston, Hiring Lead Developers Kevin Modzelewski and Marius Wachtler
- Kinetica Fuses Streaming and Contextual Analysis At Scale
- Aporia Launches Self-Serve Machine Learning Platform Open to Public
- MariaDB Announces SIS Provider Campus Cloud Services Migration to MariaDB SkySQL
- Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC) Launches an Artificial Intelligence Benchmark (TPCx-AI)
- DataRobot Launches “DataRobot AI Cloud” Platform
- OneStream Previews New AI and ML Capabilities at Splash 2021
- OneTrust Enhances First-Party Data Solution to Strengthen Holistic Consent and Preference Management Platform
- More This Just In…
Sponsored Partner Content
October 5 - October 7
October 12 - October 14
October 19London United Kingdom
October 27 - October 28
November 29 - December 3
December 6 - December 10San Diego CA United States