Couchbase Launches First NoSQL Autonomous Operator for Kubernetes
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Aug. 30, 2018—Couchbase Inc., creator of the world’s first Engagement Database, today announced the launch of the first NoSQL autonomous operator for Kubernetes. Now available, the Couchbase Autonomous Operator for Kubernetes is an application-specific controller that vastly reduces complexity, human error and manual management of database services, resulting in streamlined operations, more efficient consumption of resources and cloud portability.
Couchbase Autonomous Operator extends the Kubernetes API to create, configure and manage instances of complex stateful applications on behalf of a Kubernetes user. It builds upon the basic Kubernetes resource and controller concepts, but also includes domain or application-specific knowledge to automate common tasks better managed by computers. Whether an enterprise is using a single-provider, hybrid cloud or cross-cloud strategy, Couchbase Autonomous Operator is deployment agnostic, thereby enabling multi-cloud deployment and migration seamlessly.
As Kubernetes continues to gain momentum and IT organizations increasingly adopt cloud computing and embrace newer technologies like microservices, mobile, IoT and more, Couchbase identified the following key roadblocks that hinder progress:
- High operational costs: Manually deploying and managing hundreds of database instances across multiple geographies increases cost, effort and complexity.
- Vendor lock-in: A lack of standardization to ensure data can be moved freely and safely between cloud providers has made it difficult to switch providers quickly or work with multiple providers.
- Delayed time to market: Customers with applications using microservice architectures have difficulties managing and scaling database clusters in siloed systems, extending development times and making it harder to support their applications.
The Couchbase Autonomous Operator for Kubernetes was built to address and overcome these challenges for the enterprise by providing:
- Automated operations: Beta users report reductions of up to 95 percent of the operational complexity, which lowers operational costs.
- Cloud-agnostic deployment and management: Offers enterprise customers with multi-cloud strategies the ability to deploy, manage and move their applications to and from any cloud, at any time.
- Unmatched agility and flexibility: Allows customers who have adopted microservice architectures to run their database next to their application, reducing the DevOps cycle and decreasing time to market.
About Couchbase, Inc.
Couchbase’s mission is to be the data platform that revolutionizes digital innovation. To make this possible, Couchbase created the world’s first Engagement Database. Built on the most powerful NoSQL technology, the Couchbase Data Platform includes open source Couchbase Server and Couchbase Mobile. The platform provides unmatched agility and manageability — as well as unparalleled performance at any scale — to deliver ever richer and ever more personalized customer experiences. For more information, visitwww.couchbase.com.
Source: Couchbase, Inc.