Cassandra Gets Monitoring, Performance Upgrades
The latest beta release of the Apache Cassandra is designed to hit the ground running as the NoSQL database moves steadily to the cloud to provide managed services in production deployments.
Cassandra 4.0 released on Monday (July 20) is the first major update of the database since 2017, incorporating more than 1,000 bug fixes and extensive “battle” testing to improve performance in production, making it “the most stable release ever,” maintainers asserted. Performance testing included running Cassandra on clusters as large as 1,000 nodes using an array of enterprise use cases.
Cassandra promoters note that hyper-scalers such as Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) have deployed the database in production with more than 75,000 nodes, illustrating its ability to scale.
Among the new features incorporated into version 4.0 is the ability to stream data between nodes during scaling operations such as adding a new node or datacenter during peak traffic times.
It also includes the new data access controls operating on a “per datacenter basis.” In one scenario, operators of datacenters located in the Europe and the United States could configure Cassandra to allow access to a single datacenter using a “network authorizer” feature. Data governance features are gaining traction as European authorities crack down on the cross-border movement of personal user data.
Monitoring tools are also emphasized in the Cassandra latest release. Previously, open source tools from key code contributors such as DataStax and Instaclustr were the primary tools for observing Cassandra clusters.
“Constant monitoring of key performance indicators such as latency, disk usage, and throughput is critical to maintaining an optimal deployment,” Justin Cameron, a senior software engineer at Instaclustr, wrote last year in Datanami.
Around-the-clock “monitoring is necessary because both internal and external changes to Cassandra usage patterns are very common,” Cameron added.
The latest version allows users to selectively monitor system metrics and configuration settings via a feature called Virtual Tables. Other tools allow users to record and replay production workloads to analyze performance.
Along with DataStax, the data platform developer behind Cassandra, key code contributors to the 4.0 version include Amazon Web Services (NASDAQ: AMZN) and Instaclustr.
The Cassandra 4.0 better release is here.
September 25, 2020
- PostgreSQL 13 Released: Performance Gains, Space Savings, Enhanced Security, Developer Experience
- WANdisco Announces Global Agreement with Infosys to De-Risk and Accelerate Data Lake Migration to the Cloud
- Matillion Partner Ecosystem Identifies Trends Driving Data Transformation Market
- TIBCO Simplifies Data Unification With TIBCO Any Data Hub
- Trifacta Named Leader in G2’s Fall Grid Report for Data Preparation
- Seagate’s New Solutions Equip Enterprises for the New Data Economy
September 24, 2020
- Spectra Logic Announces Industry’s First Tape Library to Store One Exabyte of Uncompressed Data Leveraging LTO-9 Technology
- QDA Miner 6 Powers Businesses with New Qualitative Analysis Capabilities
- Cambridge Semantics Appoints Brian D. Owen as Chief Executive Officer
- Exasol Dominates Its Peer Groups in BARC Data Management Survey 2020
- The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache IoTDB as a Top-Level Project
- Sneak Peek of Breakout Sessions Announced for the In-Memory Computing Summit 2020 Virtual Worldwide Conference
September 23, 2020
- Elastic Announces ElasticON Global, Free Virtual User Conference to Take Place From October 13-15
- KIOXIA Bolsters NVMe-oF Ecosystem with Ethernet SSD Storage; Collaborates with Marvell, Foxconn-Ingrasys and Accton
- TIBCO Hyperconverged Analytics Dramatically Simplifies Analytics Experience
- NASA, ICIJ, ATPCO, Lyft and More Choose Neo4j for their Knowledge Graphs
September 22, 2020
- Qlik Expands Strategic Partnership With Google Cloud With Integrated Solution for SAP Data Analytics
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration Selects Cambridge Semantics for Data and Analytics Platform
- SAS accelerates development of analytics and data science talent with new academic program
- ThoughtSpot Launches SaaS Offering to Unlock the Value of Cloud Data Warehouses with Search & AI-Driven Analytics
Most Read Features
- How Facebook Accelerates SQL at Extreme Scale
- Microsoft Now Developing Its Own Hadoop
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- 10 Big Data Statistics That Will Blow Your Mind
- VC Ben Horowitz Dishes on Hadoop, AI, and Data Culture
- How to Build a Better Machine Learning Pipeline
- R and Python: The Data Science Dynamic Duo
- How the Coronavirus Response Is Aided by Analytics
- Is Python Strangling R to Death?
- The Future of Labor in an AI World
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- Snowflake to Make it SNOW on NYSE
- Aerospike Gives Legacy Infrastructure a Real-Time Boost
- Speech Recognition Gets an AutoML Training Tool
- A ‘Breakout Year’ for ModelOps, Forrester Says
- Google Joins the MLOps Crusade
- Snowflake Pops in ‘Largest Ever’ Software IPO
- Air Force Expands Predictive Maintenance
- Fivetran Launches Pay-As-You-Go Option for ETL
- New AI Tool Maps the Families of the Bible, A Song of Ice and Fire
- Cassandra Gets an Indexing Upgrade
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- Monte Carlo Raises $16M to Build the World’s First Data Reliability Platform
- Talend Introduces Industry-First Measure of Data Health to Bring Clarity and Confidence to Every Business Decision
- Tabor Communications, Inc. Announces Expansion of the Editorial Team
- Scality RING8 on All-Flash Delivers File and Object Storage Performance 10x Faster Than Competitive Solutions
- ScyllaDB Unveils One-Step Migration from Amazon DynamoDB to Scylla NoSQL Database
- IBM Cognos Analytics-Based Business Transformation Going Strong
- Tamr Data Mastering Platform Now Available on Microsoft Azure
- Domino Data Lab Named a Leader in Notebook-Based Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning Evaluation by Global Research Firm
- Yugabyte Announces Speaker Lineup for Distributed SQL Summit 2020
- Neo4j Delivers Integrated Graph Database Service on Google Cloud Platform
- More This Just In…