Confluent Uses Deep Pockets to Extend Kafka
Enterprise adoption of event streaming frameworks is paying off for the founders of Apache Kafka, the popular stream processing platform that is poised for an upgrade.
Confluent Inc., the company launched by Kafka founders, announced a hefty $250 million funding round on Tuesday (April 21) along with a new project touted as the “next act” for real-time data streaming. The Series E round that included new investors Altimeter Capital and Franklin Templeton lifts Confluent’s total funding to $456 million. The company claims a market valuation of $4.5 billion.
Kafka-based event-streaming platforms have expanded data access to applications and their users. Confluent said the next challenge is building and scaling “event-driven” applications across datacenters, multiple clouds and microservices.
“Event streaming has set the new standard for how data can be leveraged across an organization as a continuous stream of real-time events,” Jay Kreps, Confluent’s CEO and co-founder, said in announcing the funding round.
The company also announced the launch of Project Metamorphosis, a next-generation event streaming platform hosted on Confluent’s cloud. A series of monthly product and feature releases beginning in May and extending over eight months will flesh out the upgraded real-time streaming platform, Confluent said.
The new capabilities will be “organized around the core tenets we think should be mandatory for cloud infrastructure,” Kreps added in a blog post. “Taken together we believe these will set the bar for this emerging space and lay the foundation for what we plan to do over our next five years.”
Project Metamorphosis is being launched as Confluent ramps up its ksql database built atop Kafka and positioned as the future of stream processing. Other initiatives include collecting data streams from connected Internet of Things devices. Confluent said it is currently managing more than 4,500 Kafka clusters on its cloud platform.
October 30, 2020
- Industrial IoT Data Integrity Company Aperio Systems Secures $8.5M Series A Funding
- Lucidum Raises $4M Seed Investment to Automate Asset Discovery and Eliminate Blind Spots Across Cloud, Security, IT
- Varada Named a ‘Cool Vendor in Data Management’ by Gartner
- Domino Data Lab Joins Google Cloud Partner Advantage Program
- Privitar and StreamSets Announce Partnership and New Product Integration
- Surecomp Marketplace Goes Live with Financial Crime Solution ThetaRay AML Tech
- Envelop Risk Brings Advanced Machine Learning To Cyber Risk With Dataiku
- StorCentric Acquires Violin Systems, Adding Software-Defined All-flash Storage to Its Portfolio
October 29, 2020
- Chorus.ai Expands Enterprise Ecosystem with Conversation Intelligence API, Slack, Zapier Integrations
- GoodData Open-sources Next Gen Analytics Framework
- Fivetran Named Google Premier Partner
- Spectra Logic Releases StorCycle 3.2 Storage Lifecycle Management Software
- Gigamon Expands Cloud Ecosystem Reach with Ingram Micro Agreement
- Clarity AI Raises $15M to Fuel Expansion of Platform
- AnalyticsIQ Joins Narrative’s Data Streaming Platform
October 28, 2020
- Zaloni Releases Arena 6.1, Included in Machine Learning Data Catalogs Report and Finalist for NC Tech Awards
- New Forrester Study: Companies Turn to Data and Analytics During Economic Downturn
- Siren Releases Next Gen Investigative Intelligence Analytics Tool
- Anaconda Launches Dividend Program to Give Back to Open-Source Community
- Digital.ai and BMC to Provide AI-driven Change Management and Service Desk Analytics Solution
Most Read Features
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- Systemic Data Errors Still Plague Presidential Polling
- How to Build a Better Machine Learning Pipeline
- Did Dremio Just Make Data Warehouses Obsolete?
- How Geospatial Data Drives Insight for Bloomberg Users
- Do You Need a Chief Data Scientist?
- Is Python Strangling R to Death?
- VC Ben Horowitz Dishes on Hadoop, AI, and Data Culture
- 10 Big Data Statistics That Will Blow Your Mind
- It’s Time to Implement Fair and Ethical AI
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- Qubole is Latest Acquisition Target
- Informatica Likes Its Chances in the Cloud
- Domo Launches Election Tracker Comparing 2016, 2020 Polling Data
- Testing Data Literacy on Main Street
- Pandemic Driving ‘Back to Basics’ in Big Data, Study Suggests
- Researchers Demonstrate Less-than-One Shot Machine Learning
- AI Startup Uses FPGAs to Speed Training, Inference
- Patchwork of Data Privacy Laws Sows Confusion
- Splunk Makes a Whirlwind of News at .conf20
- War Unfolding for Control of Elasticsearch
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- Datanami Reveals Winners of Fifth Annual Readers’ and Editors’ Choice Awards
- Tableau Launches Free Data Literacy Training Program
- NASA, ICIJ, ATPCO, Lyft and More Choose Neo4j for their Knowledge Graphs
- Fujitsu Enters Strategic Alliance with Palantir Technologies
- Hazelcast to Provide Additional Capabilities to IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management
- Alida Integrates Stratifyd AI-powered Analytics Engine into New CXM Platform
- Data Science Professor Receives $1.25 Million Grant from Department of Defense
- COVID-19 Info Dashboards Come to the CDC with Georgia Tech Help
- Instaclustr Continues to Expand Managed Apache Kafka Services – Adds Managed Mirroring and Dedicated ZooKeeper Nodes
- KNIME and H2O.ai Accelerate and Simplify End-to-end Data Science Automation
- More This Just In…