Survey: Analytics Access Up, Adoption Down
Despite broader access to self-service business intelligence tools, enterprise adoption continues to decline, creating what a new industry survey argues is a growing need for “embedded analytics” in which tools and data are integrated with business applications.
A survey of the state of analytics adoption released this week by business intelligence vendor Logi Analytics also predicts continuing industry consolidation as software vendors acquire analytics companies. That trend underscores the preference for acquiring analytics capabilities rather than building them from scratch.
While more than two-thirds of respondents to the industry survey said they have implemented or have begun rolling out self-service business intelligence tools, the poll found that adoption may have peaked. Paradoxically, user adoption has declined by an estimated 24 percent over the last two years even as access to self-service tools have risen 20 percent over the same period.
Instead, with gaps emerging in current self-service tools, the survey identifies a shift toward embedded analytics tied closely to applications. More than 90 percent of those surveyed said they are either using embedded analytics or are considering it.
“Organizations are seeing the value of including analytics in the apps people are using on a daily basis—in effect, delivering analytics when and where users need it to make decisions,” the survey noted. That trend represents “an exciting revenue opportunity” for independent software vendors, perhaps fueling industry consolidation as software vendors ponder more analytics deals.
“Business users want to stay in one place, not jump from application to application to get what they need. But so many analytics tools fail to meet this need—which may be why low user adoption is an issue,” the survey authors added.
The reasons vary for declining adoption rates for self-service analytics tools. Topping the list is costly maintenance followed by the difficulty of use along with resistance to switching from familiar applications to a separate analytics tool.
Underscoring these problems, the survey found that two-thirds of business users are switching to separate analytics tools to get the data or analysis either “all the time” (16 percent) or “sometimes” (50 percent). “The problem is clear: Switching between apps is a hassle, and it’s inefficient,” the survey authors concluded.
In order to boost adoption, respondents said they want tools that are intuitive along with the flexibility to export data out of a platform to analyze it on preferred tools like good old Excel—described in the report as a “known quantity.” Collaboration tools, connecting to data controlled by the IT department and improved dashboards and other interfaces also ranked near the top of user preferences.
“Business users value connecting to data—and most of all, modifying or changing data,” the survey found. “The more data sources, the merrier!”
You can download a copy of the report here.
October 25, 2021
- The expert.ai NL API Now Available in AWS Marketplace
- Franz Announces AllegroGraph 7.2
- Teradata and H2O.ai Partnership Accelerates Enterprise AI Adoption in the Cloud
October 22, 2021
October 21, 2021
- Dremio Announces New Dart Initiative Release
- Hex Technologies Raises $16 Million Series A to Help Data Teams Do More
- 2021 GigaOm Radar Report for Data Warehouses Names Yellowbrick Data an Outperformer
- DataRobot Research Finds 86% of Organizations Prioritize AI and ML
- Terrafuse AI Launches New Platform to Visualize California Wildfire Risk
- New Relic Launches In-IDE Observability and Code Collaboration Experience
- KX Announces Launch of KX Academy On-Demand Training Portal
- KDD 2021 Celebrates Winning Teams of 25th Annual KDD Cup
- Global Survey Reveals 8 in 10 Companies Struggle to Unify Data Assets
October 20, 2021
- OctoML Announces Collaboration with Arm for ML Models
- VAST Data Introduces VASTOS Version 4
- DAS42 and AtScale Partner to Deliver Advanced Data Technology Solutions
- Iguazio MLOps Platform Now Supports Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP
- Credo AI Emerges from Stealth to Help Organizations Build Ethical AI
- Exxact Partners with SoftIron to Provide Ceph-Based Software Defined Storage Solutions
- TigerGraph, HPE, and Xilinx Announce Graph Analytics Solution for the Enterprise
Most Read Features
- Google Cloud Gives Spanner a PostgreSQL Interface
- What Is Data Science? A Turing Award Winner Shares His View
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- We’re In the Moneyball 3.0 Era. Here’s What It Means for Live Sports
- What’s the Difference Between AI, ML, Deep Learning, and Active Learning?
- Who’s Winning In the $17B AIOps and Observability Market
- Composite AI: What Is It, and Why You Need It
- Five Real-World Applications for Sports Analytics
- One on One with Google Cloud Product Director Irina Farooq
- HPE Adds Lakehouse to GreenLake, Targets Databricks
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- Data and AI Salaries Continue Upward March, O’Reilly Says
- Data Prep Still Dominates Data Scientists’ Time, Survey Finds
- The Next Breakthrough in Long-Term Data Storage is….Gold?
- Gartner Shuffles the Technology Deck with Latest ‘Hype Cycle’ Report
- Why Is SAS Going Public?
- Feature Stores Emerging as Must-Have Tech for Machine Learning
- Sisu Nabs $62M to Grow Data Analytics Biz
- LinkedIn Open Sources Tech Behind 10,000-Node Hadoop Cluster
- Here’s What Splunk Announced Today at .conf21
- Hydrolix Puts Big Log Data In Its Place: The Cloud
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- Esri Releases ArcGIS GeoBIM, Bringing Spatial Context to AEC Operations
- Databricks Acquires Low-code/No-code Company to Expand its Lakehouse Platform
- PrivaceraCloud 4.0 Enables Governed Data Sharing Across the Open Cloud
- BriefCam Introduces Video Analytics Enabled on Deep Learning Cameras from Axis Communications
- NetApp to Acquire CloudCheckr and Expand its Spot by NetApp CloudOps Platform
- TIBCO Delivers a Comprehensive, Connected Platform for the Adaptable Digital Business
- Dremio Announces New Dart Initiative Release
- Alteryx Acquires Lore IO to Enhance Enterprise Analytics for Cloud Data
- Datatron Awarded U.S. Patent for Methodology for Modeling Machine Learning and Analytics
- Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC) Launches an Artificial Intelligence Benchmark (TPCx-AI)
- More This Just In…
Sponsored Partner Content
October 27 - October 28
November 29 - December 3
December 6 - December 10San Diego CA United States
February 7, 2022 - February 9, 2022Houston TX United States
June 26, 2022 - June 30, 2022Hollywood FL United States