Snowflake Launches Government & Education Data Cloud to Enable Data-Informed Government and Enhance Mission Outcomes for Citizens and Students
BOZEMAN, Mont., June 6, 2023 — Snowflake today announced the launch of the Government & Education Data Cloud, which unites Snowflake’s data platform, Snowflake- and partner-delivered solutions, and industry-specific datasets. The Government & Education Data Cloud empowers educational institutions and public sector agencies at the federal, state, and local levels with a single, integrated, and cross-cloud data platform that enhances mission outcomes and enables public sector organizations to spend more time on what matters most: caring for citizens and students.
To help federal, state and local agencies meet security and compliance standards, Snowflake’s platform has achieved FedRAMP Moderate and StateRAMP High, as well as support for regulated workloads subject to International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS), Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 1075, and Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and Defense FAR Supplement (DFARS) safeguarding requirements across certain of its U.S. government-designated regions. Snowflake is also “In Process” for FedRAMP High in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) GovCloud (US West) Region. The Snowflake platform also supports Family Education and Privacy Act (FERPA) workloads across its U.S. regions. These cumulative achievements and ongoing efforts solidify Snowflake’s status as a trusted data platform used by governments throughout the United States to securely guard sensitive data against potential threats.
Today, government agencies deal with disparate and siloed data that can impact real-time decision making. Securely exchanging information and collaborating with data remains a key focus area and a fundamental challenge for the majority of government agencies. As a result, many agencies share data ad hoc and must physically move their data, which can increase risk of exposure. Similarly, educational institutions frequently struggle to unify institutional data, including institutional research, student retention, human resources, finance, and student services data, as they manage data demands with their limited IT resources. In short, organizations across government and education frequently struggle to fully leverage the wealth of data their organizations possess to improve citizen and student outcomes. These challenges come at a time when the White House is encouraging digital transformation efforts and more data sharing between the public and private sectors.
The Snowflake Government & Education Data Cloud makes it possible for government and education institutions to address these industry challenges by:
- Enabling intra- and cross-agency data sharing and collaboration: The Snowflake Government & Education Data Cloud offers a single, integrated, and cross-cloud data platform that eliminates technical and institutional data silos and ensures high levels of data security and governance with FedRAMP, DoD, and StateRAMP compliance, as well as support for regulated customer workloads, to enable public sector organizations and educational institutions to securely share data across teams, between agencies, and externally with the public or the private sector.
- Establishing 360-degree views of their stakeholders: Governments and education institutions can combine data sources to create holistic 360-degree entity, citizen, recipient, and student views to understand and improve the efficacy their services have on recipients and students.
- Monitoring for fraud, waste, and abuse: Snowflake enables public sector organizations to solve mission-critical challenges that help them detect and prevent fraud sooner by addressing their technology and data limitations.
- Leveraging industry-leading network of public sector partners: Take advantage of a rich partner ecosystem and their industry-specific, prebuilt templates to build valuable solutions faster.
With the launch of the Government & Education Data Cloud, government customers will soon enjoy the same benefits of sharing data as the private sector: exchange data within government agencies, access listings from Snowflake Marketplace providers, and privately share data with other accounts.
With today’s Data Sharing for Government Private Preview launch, we are taking sign ups from government customers. Data sharing for government customers is expected to be generally available later this summer.
“The Snowflake Government & Education Data Cloud will help government agencies and educational institutions accelerate their modernization efforts by making data more readily available on a cross-cloud data platform that meets the highest levels of data security and governance,” said Jeff Frazier, Global Head of Public Sector at Snowflake. “With Snowflake, organizations have the data they need to drive meaningful change in their communities, including coordinating hurricane relief efforts, intervening when a student is at risk for falling behind, and improving community or patient health across public health systems.”
Government & Education Data Cloud Partner Solutions
Within the Government & Education Data Cloud, customers can access industry-specific solutions to leverage best practices, reduce time-to-value, and increase overall impact.
- Applications Powered by Snowflake, like the ones developed by PowerSchool and Merit, allow educational institutions and the public sector to deliver equitable opportunities for students, maximize education attainment and workforce participation, and empower state government organizations to respond quickly in times of crisis.
- Snowflake Marketplace partners, like Carto and Vantage Point Consulting enable live access to a variety of data sources leveraging Snowflake’s privacy-preserving collaboration technology, to synchronize spatial data for the public sector and help higher education institutions track post-graduation success.
- Consulting and professional services companies like Booz Allen Hamilton, Deloitte, and Plante Moran can reduce time-to-value for customers with pre-built partner solutions that help solve for top priority use cases, including enabling decision dominance for federal customers, modernizing applications for optimal mission outcomes, and providing care for people experiencing homelessness through a comprehensive data strategy.
- Technology leaders like AWS, Collibra, and Immuta provide integrations and out-of-the-box solutions so customers can attain deeper insights and realize the full power and ease of use of the Government & Education Data Cloud.
Snowflake enables every organization to mobilize their data with Snowflake’s Data Cloud. Customers use the Data Cloud to unite siloed data, discover and securely share data, and execute diverse analytic workloads. Wherever data or users live, Snowflake delivers a single data experience that spans multiple clouds and geographies. Thousands of customers across many industries, including 590 of the 2022 Forbes Global 2000 (G2K) as of April 30, 2023, use Snowflake Data Cloud to power their businesses.