Database Shift to the Edge Accelerates
As edge devices generate ever-larger data quantities, data management specialists are offering new frameworks to reduce reliance on cloud services by embedding intelligence to perform storage and analysis locally.
To that end, the latest release of an embedded database software platform is aimed at Internet of Things (IoT) devices and other autonomous systems. The framework is billed as allowing devices to process sensor data via standard SQL syntax. The platform then preserves key data for offline queries
ITTIA, a database software and services vendor based in Bellevue, Wash., said the updated version of its SQL edge database provides developers with an interface to remotely access and query database tables and IoT sensors. The platform also incorporates a proprietary “security agent” that allows embedded IoT devices to block malicious databases requests.
Meanwhile, data storage and the processing capabilities of embedded systems and IoT devices is automated, the company said Monday (Jan. 25).
The data management framework also seeks to reduce reliance on cloud services, thereby increasing data security and reducing bandwidth expenses. Processing data generated by IoT sensors via the SQL database software would further enable edge device applications to “locally decide” which data to store and analyze in real time, ITTIA claimed.
The embedded SQL database software helps devices monitor data, allowing IoT sensor queries that provide analysis and decision making at the edge. Meanwhile, offline SQL table queries pinpoint data for future analysis. “IoT devices can optimize the data processing to detect inefficiency while managing data offline,” the company said.
ITTIA joins a modest but growing list of database vendors targeting edge deployments as developers recognize they require more than just file systems to support data management. Among the early IoT database entrants is Actian, with its Zen embedded database software.
Other entrants include InfluxData, which offers a cloud-based time-series platform enabling IoT devices to handle real-time data ingestion and streaming analytics.
Along with reducing dependence on cloud services, ITTIA’s latest release is promoted as a tool for embedded IoT developers helping device manufacturers scale edge data management.
“It is not trivial to deploy hundreds of devices that collect, analyze and manage a flood of online data without losing performance,” said ITTIA President Sasan Montaseri.
“While edge application developers may not want to permanently store all real time data, with this new release they are empowered to monitor all available data, capture important information and easily save it for offline queries and further investigation,” Montaseri added.
October 19, 2021
- Quantum Announces Partnership with IBM for Next Generation of LTO Technology
- Scality Delivers Comprehensive Portfolio for Splunk SmartStore Deployments
- Splunk Announces Enhancements to its Enterprise Observability Portfolio
- Datatron Introduces New Features to MLOps and AI Governance Solution
- Snowflake Launches Media Data Cloud
- SolarWinds Introduces Database Mapper and Task Factory
- Tintri Expands VMstore Portfolio of NVMe-based Platforms
- Cockroach Labs Introduces CockroachDB Serverless
- AnalyticsIQ Marketing Data Now Available on AWS Data Exchange
- Query.AI Closes Oversubscribed $15 Million Series A Round
- Couchbase Introduces Couchbase Capella Hosted Database-as-a-Service on AWS
- SambaNova Introduces Enterprise Grade GPT AI-Powered Language Model
- Paradigm4 Launches flexFS for Geospatial Data in the Cloud
October 18, 2021
- Fujitsu Analyzes Japanese Election Data with Foundry from Palantir Technologies
- WANdisco Announces General Availability of LiveData Platform for Azure
- Akridata Joins National Exascale Day Celebrations
October 15, 2021
- Elastic And Optimyze Join Forces to Deliver Continuous Profiling Platform
- Coveo Acquires Qubit
- Aicadium and SambaNova Partner to Bring AI Hardware Solution to Singapore
October 14, 2021
Most Read Features
- Google Cloud Gives Spanner a PostgreSQL Interface
- One on One with Google Cloud Product Director Irina Farooq
- What Is Data Science? A Turing Award Winner Shares His View
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- We’re In the Moneyball 3.0 Era. Here’s What It Means for Live Sports
- SambaNova Brings Custom Silicon To Bear on High-End AI Workloads
- What’s the Difference Between AI, ML, Deep Learning, and Active Learning?
- Who’s Winning In the $17B AIOps and Observability Market
- Five Real-World Applications for Sports Analytics
- OpenTelemetry Gains Momentum as Observability Standard
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- Data and AI Salaries Continue Upward March, O’Reilly Says
- LinkedIn Open Sources Tech Behind 10,000-Node Hadoop Cluster
- Bigeye Observes $45 Million in Funding
- Data Prep Still Dominates Data Scientists’ Time, Survey Finds
- Why Is SAS Going Public?
- Gartner Shuffles the Technology Deck with Latest ‘Hype Cycle’ Report
- Feature Stores Emerging as Must-Have Tech for Machine Learning
- Sisu Nabs $62M to Grow Data Analytics Biz
- Logistics Operators Look to Data, Technology for Advantage
- An Interactive Analytics Whiteboard for COVID Times
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- TIBCO NOW 2021 Showcases Limitless Power of Data
- Databricks Acquires Low-code/No-code Company to Expand its Lakehouse Platform
- Toloka Launches Data Research Grants, Announces First Eight Recipients
- BriefCam Introduces Video Analytics Enabled on Deep Learning Cameras from Axis Communications
- NetApp to Acquire CloudCheckr and Expand its Spot by NetApp CloudOps Platform
- PrivaceraCloud 4.0 Enables Governed Data Sharing Across the Open Cloud
- Scality Awarded New U.S. Patent for Breakthrough Technology in Hyper-Scale Data Protection
- OneTrust Enhances First-Party Data Solution to Strengthen Holistic Consent and Preference Management Platform
- Nutanix Cloud Platform to Deliver Strengthened Data Services for Unstructured and Structured Data
- Datatron Awarded U.S. Patent for Methodology for Modeling Machine Learning and Analytics
- More This Just In…
Sponsored Partner Content
October 27 - October 28
November 29 - December 3
December 6 - December 10San Diego CA United States
February 7, 2022 - February 9, 2022Houston TX United States
June 26, 2022 - June 30, 2022Hollywood FL United States