Confluent Moves to Boost Kafka Reliability
Apache Kafka has emerged as a leading platform for the management of data transaction streaming. Hence, users are placing a premium on maintaining Kafka uptime by anticipating and resolving issues before Kafka clusters go down, with the resulting loss of data.
Confluent Inc., the company behind Apache Kafka continues to expand its offerings with a monitoring tool that seeks to reduce the risk of Kafka downtime and data loss by identifying and resolving issues before an instance is lost. It is also promoted as a way of preserving Kafka instances without large infrastructure investments.
The “proactive support” platform dubbed Reliable is part of Confluent’s Project Metamorphosis launched earlier this year as a next-generation event streaming platform running in the Confluent Cloud. The initiative is designed to help users scale Kafka deployments while Reliable aims to keep the event streamer up and running.
Confluent said Tuesday (Nov. 10) its Kafka support platform provides real-time analysis of cluster metadata, alerting operators of potential issues before a crash. The monitoring tool also provides performance metrics that would allow support staff to trace the root cause of a Kafka performance issues.
The company said the impetus for the Kafka platform was about 1,000 support tickets that helped it gain insights into detecting performance issues. “We proactively tell you about issues we find with [customers’ deployments] based on experience running literally thousands of clusters,” said Tim Bergland, Confluent’s senior director of developer advocacy.
Hence, the company developed a framework by which cluster metadata is fed through its collection of algorithms to gauge performance and anticipate potential problems. Real-time “health metrics” are promoted as helping support engineers identify root causes faster, cutting the time to resolve support issues by as much as 25 percent, the company claimed.
Among the most common issues affecting the scaling of Kafka’s real-time performance and the threat of data loss are network and storage bottlenecks. Overloaded networks or storage media often bring down Kafka clusters, taking with them business events and other critical data.
The managed service also is designed to help IT administrators reduce the amount of time and resources devoted to operating the relatively complex, distributed Kafka environment.
In launching Project Metamorphosis this past spring, Confluent said it planned a series of monthly product and feature upgrades through the end of the year as it fleshes out its real-time streaming platform. The managed support service is the latest in that series of offerings.
Customers running Confluent 6.0 can opt in to use the initial release of the managed Kafka service. Alerts can be sent via integration with the Confluence control center. Alternatively, users can set up alerts via email or Slack.
October 18, 2021
- Fujitsu Analyzes Japanese Election Data with Foundry from Palantir Technologies
- WANdisco Announces General Availability of LiveData Platform for Azure
- Akridata Joins National Exascale Day Celebrations
October 15, 2021
- Elastic And Optimyze Join Forces to Deliver Continuous Profiling Platform
- Coveo Acquires Qubit
- Aicadium and SambaNova Partner to Bring AI Hardware Solution to Singapore
October 14, 2021
- Kinetica Now Accessible as a Service on Microsoft Azure
- Deloitte Launches CognitiveSpark for Marketing AI Solution
- Alation Acquires Artificial Intelligence Vendor Lyngo Analytics
- WeRide Relies on Alluxio for its Hybrid Cloud Storage Gateway for ML and AI
- FUJI Launches Sustainable Data Storage Initiative
- Logi Analytics Announces Logi Spark 2021 Virtual Conference
October 13, 2021
- Deephaven Community Core with Real-Time Data Capabilities Now Available
- Geospark Analytics Awarded Four-Year Contract from Department of State
- SparkBeyond Unveils No-Code AI Analytics Platform
- Dataminr is Acquiring Krizo, a Real-time Crisis Response Platform
- New Relic Launches Open Source Ecosystem of Quickstarts and Partner Integrations
- LogDNA Introduces Control API Suite to Give Customers More Control
- Elastic Announces Expanded Integrations with Google Cloud
- CrowdStrike Launches Free Humio Community Edition
Most Read Features
- Google Cloud Gives Spanner a PostgreSQL Interface
- One on One with Google Cloud Product Director Irina Farooq
- What Is Data Science? A Turing Award Winner Shares His View
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- We’re In the Moneyball 3.0 Era. Here’s What It Means for Live Sports
- SambaNova Brings Custom Silicon To Bear on High-End AI Workloads
- Who’s Winning In the $17B AIOps and Observability Market
- What’s the Difference Between AI, ML, Deep Learning, and Active Learning?
- Five Real-World Applications for Sports Analytics
- How the Coronavirus Response Is Aided by Analytics
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- Data and AI Salaries Continue Upward March, O’Reilly Says
- LinkedIn Open Sources Tech Behind 10,000-Node Hadoop Cluster
- Bigeye Observes $45 Million in Funding
- Data Prep Still Dominates Data Scientists’ Time, Survey Finds
- Gartner Shuffles the Technology Deck with Latest ‘Hype Cycle’ Report
- Why Is SAS Going Public?
- Feature Stores Emerging as Must-Have Tech for Machine Learning
- Sisu Nabs $62M to Grow Data Analytics Biz
- Logistics Operators Look to Data, Technology for Advantage
- An Interactive Analytics Whiteboard for COVID Times
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- TIBCO NOW 2021 Showcases Limitless Power of Data
- Databricks Acquires Low-code/No-code Company to Expand its Lakehouse Platform
- Toloka Launches Data Research Grants, Announces First Eight Recipients
- NetApp to Acquire CloudCheckr and Expand its Spot by NetApp CloudOps Platform
- BriefCam Introduces Video Analytics Enabled on Deep Learning Cameras from Axis Communications
- OneTrust Enhances First-Party Data Solution to Strengthen Holistic Consent and Preference Management Platform
- Ketch Secures $20 Million in Series A1 Funding, Accelerating its Rapid Growth
- Sinequa Accelerates Time-to-Value with “Starter” Insight Apps
- Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC) Launches an Artificial Intelligence Benchmark (TPCx-AI)
- Indico Data Announces General Availability of Indico Unstructured Data Platform
- More This Just In…
Sponsored Partner Content
October 19London United Kingdom
October 27 - October 28
November 29 - December 3
December 6 - December 10San Diego CA United States
February 7, 2022 - February 9, 2022Houston TX United States
June 26, 2022 - June 30, 2022Hollywood FL United States