Collaboration Database Tackles Policy Issues
Data collaboration startup Data.world released a list of its top data sets and collaboration projects that included journalists’ efforts to trace social media’s influence on the 2016 presidential election and a “Bitcoin Regret Calculator” along with data on federal efforts to address the U.S. opioid epidemic.
The data startup said it ramped up its collaboration platform in 2017 to help users find and organize data on public policy and other issues ranging from fake news to hurricane relief efforts.
Along with data sets on individual nation’s “ecological footprint” and government spending on Medicare Part D drug spending, the platform also helped develop tutorials on business data analytics and visualization tools such as Tableau. The goal of the project was to generate different views for exploring data using Tableau.
Another data visualization project measured ecological resource use and resource capacity since 1961. The result was a “Global Footprint Network” running on the Data.world platform that seeks to correlate economic growth based on gross domestic product with consumption of natural resources. The data set included statistics from 2009 to 2013.
Two investigative journalism efforts used the collaborative platform to crunch government data as well as social media engagement metrics in the form of removed Facebook pages. The latter was Data.world’s top data set in 2017.
The platform hosted data on Facebook posts from five alleged “foreign influence” opinion sites. The data on removed Facebook pages was pulled together by the Tow Center for Digital Journalism. “This data sheds light on the larger potential impact of the use of Facebook’s platform beyond a single advertising buy,” Gabriela Swider, a marketing executive with Data.world, noted in a blog post. “The work presented here suggests that there was much more widespread exposure of the content from these five closed pages.”
Another journalistic effort hosted on the collaborative platform was a data set obtained during an 18-month investigation by a New Jersey media outlet. The data was turned over by the Office of the State Medical Examiner and served as the basis of a probe into the state’s failure to properly investigate deaths.
A tragic U.S. hurricane season also generated heavy use of data sets by first responders and utilities. Among them was a Hurricane Harvey database of neighborhoods in 39 Texas counties suffering the most property damage. The result was a data visualization map showing the hardest hit areas around Houston. The map also allowed user to hover over individual properties to determine the level of damage.
The hurricane relief database also attracted data set contributions from dozens of community organizations.
Other top data sets included a collection of federal, state and municipal programs addressing U.S. opioid abuse, including prevention and rehabilitation programs. Users are able to search on government grants and other financial assistance and how the funds are being spent.
Meanwhile, a “Coin Metric” database was the second most popular database as users track wild fluctuations in the Bitcoin market over the last year. The resulting visualization also tracked Bitcoin value against other crypto-currencies such as Ethereum.
Founded in 2015, Austin-based Data.world has so far raised $32.7 million in two funding rounds, according to the web site Crunchbase.
February 22, 2018
- Cambridge-Based GeoSpock Secures an Additional $6.6M in Closing its Series A Funding From Investors
- InfluxData’s InfluxEnterprise and InfluxDB Expand Support for Ephemeral Time Series Data
- Infor Launches Healthcare Enterprise Analytics
- Logz.io Launches Two Open Source Projects
February 21, 2018
- Reltio Announces Reltio Cloud 2018.1
- Information Builders Launches Trial of iWay 8
- FICO Opens Xpress Mosel Programming Language to All
February 20, 2018
- Competition Organizers Announce Winning Schemes for Predicting Student Interest in Science
- REDMINT NETWORK Launches Loud ML Deep Learning API for Linux in the US in Partnership with InfluxData
February 16, 2018
- Actian Awarded US Patent for Big Data Update Technology
- Intel Announces New 3D NAND SSDs
- Cambridge Semantics Announces AnzoGraph Graph-Based Online Analytics Support for Amazon Neptune and Graph Databases
February 15, 2018
February 14, 2018
- Rezatec Announces Completion of £2M Financing to Expand Delivery of Geospatial Data Analytics
- Infor Adds Next-Gen HCM Capabilities to Infor CloudSuite Healthcare
February 13, 2018
- Immuta Accelerates Into 2018 With More Than 260 Percent Year-Over-Year Growth
- Testplant Announces Availability of Eggplant AI 2.0
- MapR Achieves Microsoft Gold Cloud Platform Competency
- Mason Companies Chooses Stibo Systems Master Data Management Solution
- InfluxData Raises $35M to Accelerate Growth and Meet Growing Global Demand
Most Read Features
- Why 2018 Will Be The Year Of The Data Engineer
- Which Programming Language Is Best for Big Data?
- 9 Must-Have Skills to Land Top Big Data Jobs in 2015
- A Deep Learning Approach for Detecting Unknown Malware
- Full ACID Support Means ‘Game Over’ for Relational, MongoDB Says
- Which Type of SSD is Best: SATA, SAS, or PCIe?
- Spark Streaming: What Is It and Who’s Using It?
- How Erasure Coding Changes Hadoop Storage Economics
- Five Tips for Winning at Data Governance
- Scylla Eyes Cassandra’s NoSQL Workloads
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- Self-Service Analytics Seen Overtaking Data Scientists
- Microsoft, Anaconda Expand Python Partnership
- Snowflake Taps Qubole for Deep Machine Learning in the Cloud
- Why Gartner Dropped Big Data Off the Hype Curve
- Big Data Driving Hyperscale Datacenter Surge
- Dremio Accelerates Growth Plans Following $25M Series B
- Data Grid Embraces Emerging ‘Go’ Language
- AI Now Infused In Network and Wi-Fi Management
- Esri Adds an Unstructured Location Data Capability
- AI, Big Data Are Meshing–and Disrupting
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- Alteryx Releases Brief on State of Data Discovery and Cataloging
- Waterline Data Posts Record Growth
- GridGain Announces Strong Momentum in 2017
- Glassbeam Announces AI Application for Healthcare Provider Market
- Couchbase Launches Global Partner Program
- Qlik Announces Results from U.S. Data Literacy Survey
- Stibo Systems Releases Latest Master Data Management Offering
- VoltDB Introduces the World’s Fastest Translytical Database
- Hortonworks Reports Fourth Quarter and 2017 Annual Revenue
- MicroStrategy Announces Rollout of MicroStrategy Partner Program
- More This Just In…
March 5 - March 8San Jose CA United States
March 12 @ 8:00 am - March 15 @ 5:00 pmSan Antonio TX United States
March 13 - March 14Banglore India
May 8 - May 9
May 17 - May 18Silicon Valley CA United States