Collaboration Database Tackles Policy Issues
Data collaboration startup Data.world released a list of its top data sets and collaboration projects that included journalists’ efforts to trace social media’s influence on the 2016 presidential election and a “Bitcoin Regret Calculator” along with data on federal efforts to address the U.S. opioid epidemic.
The data startup said it ramped up its collaboration platform in 2017 to help users find and organize data on public policy and other issues ranging from fake news to hurricane relief efforts.
Along with data sets on individual nation’s “ecological footprint” and government spending on Medicare Part D drug spending, the platform also helped develop tutorials on business data analytics and visualization tools such as Tableau. The goal of the project was to generate different views for exploring data using Tableau.
Another data visualization project measured ecological resource use and resource capacity since 1961. The result was a “Global Footprint Network” running on the Data.world platform that seeks to correlate economic growth based on gross domestic product with consumption of natural resources. The data set included statistics from 2009 to 2013.
Two investigative journalism efforts used the collaborative platform to crunch government data as well as social media engagement metrics in the form of removed Facebook pages. The latter was Data.world’s top data set in 2017.
The platform hosted data on Facebook posts from five alleged “foreign influence” opinion sites. The data on removed Facebook pages was pulled together by the Tow Center for Digital Journalism. “This data sheds light on the larger potential impact of the use of Facebook’s platform beyond a single advertising buy,” Gabriela Swider, a marketing executive with Data.world, noted in a blog post. “The work presented here suggests that there was much more widespread exposure of the content from these five closed pages.”
Another journalistic effort hosted on the collaborative platform was a data set obtained during an 18-month investigation by a New Jersey media outlet. The data was turned over by the Office of the State Medical Examiner and served as the basis of a probe into the state’s failure to properly investigate deaths.
A tragic U.S. hurricane season also generated heavy use of data sets by first responders and utilities. Among them was a Hurricane Harvey database of neighborhoods in 39 Texas counties suffering the most property damage. The result was a data visualization map showing the hardest hit areas around Houston. The map also allowed user to hover over individual properties to determine the level of damage.
The hurricane relief database also attracted data set contributions from dozens of community organizations.
Other top data sets included a collection of federal, state and municipal programs addressing U.S. opioid abuse, including prevention and rehabilitation programs. Users are able to search on government grants and other financial assistance and how the funds are being spent.
Meanwhile, a “Coin Metric” database was the second most popular database as users track wild fluctuations in the Bitcoin market over the last year. The resulting visualization also tracked Bitcoin value against other crypto-currencies such as Ethereum.
Founded in 2015, Austin-based Data.world has so far raised $32.7 million in two funding rounds, according to the web site Crunchbase.
July 28, 2021
- Lifesight Customer Intelligence Data Now Available on Narrative’s Data Streaming Platform
- Novel Techniques Extract More Accurate Data from Images Degraded by Environmental Conditions
- Informatica Appoints Elizabeth Rafael to Board of Directors
- Open Source Technology lakeFS Prompts $23M in Funding for Data Lake Lifecycle Management
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation Announces Grafana Labs Upgrades Membership to Platinum
- KDD 2021 Data Science Conference Welcomes Singapore Senior Minister for Opening Address
- CoreStack Launches FinOps, SecOps and CloudOps Governance Solutions on Google Cloud
- BlueConic Customer Data Platform Offers a Data Clean Room Solution
- Renesas and Syntiant Develop Voice-Controlled AI Solution Combining Vision, Voice
July 27, 2021
- Trifacta Delivers Head Start on Cloud Data Engineering with New Template Gallery
- GraphCDN Acquires FastQL to Cement Position in GraphQL Caching
- TigerGraph Cloud Is Now Available on Google Cloud Marketplace
- Atos Acquires Visual BI to Address Customers’ Increasing Need for Analytics in the Cloud
- Spectro Cloud Announces $20M Completion of Series A Funding
- DataRobot Acquiring Algorithmia, Enhancing MLOps Architecture for the Enterprise
- GoodData Announces $45 Million Credit Facility from J.P. Morgan
- Kili Technology Raises $25M Series A to Speed Up AI Adoption
- Pliops Launches Extreme Data Processor to Multiply Data-Intensive Application Performance
- Apache Cassandra Project Releases Apache Cassandra v4.0
- EZOPS Supports Streamlined Data Control and Optimized Efficiency in Snowflake
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- Who’s Winning In the $17B AIOps and Observability Market
- Tuplex Gives Python UDFs a Performance Boost
- What’s the Difference Between AI, ML, Deep Learning, and Active Learning?
- The Data Mesh Emerges In Pursuit of Data Harmony
- Presto the Future of Open Data Analytics, Foundation Says
- Why Data Scientists and ML Engineers Shouldn’t Worry About the Rise of AutoML
- Cost Overruns and Misgovernance: Two Threats to Your Cloud Data Journey
- The Multiple Faces of Digital Twins
- Beyond Dashboards: The Importance of Storytelling with Data
- More Features…
- Hiring, Pay for Data Science and Analytics Pros Picks Up Steam
- Starburst Backs Data Mesh Architecture
- Confluent Raises More Than $800M in IPO
- Data Prep Still Dominates Data Scientists’ Time, Survey Finds
- Off the Couch: Database Maker Seeks $160 Million In IPO
- Let It Go: The Financial Benefits of Data Deletion
- Teradata: We’ve Outsourced Some Hardware Support for Years
- Qumulo Debuts QaaS, a File Lake on the Azure Cloud
- Global DataSphere to Hit 175 Zettabytes by 2025, IDC Says
- Databricks Edges Closer to IPO with $1B Round
- More News In Brief…
- Splunk Launches New Security Cloud
- Red Hat Expands Workload Possibilities Across Hybrid Cloud with Latest Version of OpenShift
- Vertica Announces Vertica 11, Delivering on Vision of Unified Analytics
- JetBrains Announces Datalore Enterprise, Enabling Data Science Teams to Collaborate On-Prem
- Alluxio v2.6 Release Brings Performance, Ease of Use Improvements to AI/ML Workloads
- DDN Selected by Bytesnet to Provide ‘Pay-Per-Use’ Storage for Data-Intensive Organizations
- Alation Supports Next Generation of Data Enthusiasts, Provides Free Software and Training
- TigerGraph Expands Partner Ecosystem to Bring the Power of Graph to More Businesses
- MariaDB Collaborates with AWS to Deliver SkySQL on AWS
- Dremio Launches SQL Lakehouse Service to Accelerate BI and Analytics
- More This Just In…
Sponsored Partner Content
August 25 @ 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
November 29 - December 3
December 6 - December 10San Diego CA United States