Coveo, Microsoft, Sinequa Lead Insight Engine Market
Among the areas where natural language processing is making inroads is so-called “insight engines” that are projected to account for half of analytic queries by 2019. Indeed, enterprise search is being supplanted by voice and automated voice commands, according to Gartner Inc. (NYSE: IT).
The market analyst released it latest “Magic Quadrant” rankings in late March that include a trio of “market leaders” along with a growing list of challengers that includes established vendors moving into the nascent market along with a batch of dedicated startups.
Among the market leaders, Gartner ranked Coveo Solutions highest in terms of overall vision and ability to execute its strategy, followed by Microsoft and Sinequa. Coveo, Quebec City, Canada, provides an intelligent search platform that combines machine learning and usage analytics tools. Its enterprise and web site search technologies, including plugins for platforms such as Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM).
“Coveo is shifting its emphasis to cloud delivery and suggesting that enterprises consider hybrid or cloud installations,” noted Gartner, adding that the company is making headway with its cloud-based platform.
The market researcher meanwhile cited Microsoft’s (NASDAQ: MSFT) graph search and contextual analysis of worker behavioral history and task history as “particularly effective within Microsoft systems.”
Paris-based Sinequa develops cognitive technology based on its flagship ES platform to combine “human-driven interactions with machine-assisted analysis” as the basis of its insight engine that serves as an “auxiliary brain” for analytics users.
Gartner defined insight engines as platforms for applying “relevancy methods to describe, discover, organize and analyze data.” Insight engines are intended to extend beyond enterprise search by providing the capability to extract insights without interacting with content via search boxes. Instead, natural language and “rich” context are used.
Austria-based Mindbreeze lead the market challengers with its search appliance along with Dassault Systems (Exalead), IBM (Watson Explorer), Hewlett Packed Enterprise (NYSE: HPE, Intelligent Data Operating Layer) and Lucidworks (Fusion). Insight engine startups identified by Gartner as “visionaries” included Attivio (Active Intelligence Engine), the Australian firm Funnelback and Smartlogic (Semaphore).
“No vendor or solution is perfect, and vendors are making progress at different paces,” Gartner concluded. “Current technologies differ greatly in their ability to respond to the requirements for natural, total and proactive search.”
Leading insight engine vendors all offer natural language interfaces, enterprise metadata management and “discovery of information without conscious user query,” the market analyst added.
Success in the maturing insight engine market will be closely tied to the ability to manage enterprise metadata, Gartner predicted. “Metadata is one key to ensuring that individual information investments can be linked, aligned and are able to leverage each other.”
As enterprise search embraces emerging tools such as natural language processing, the market is steadily shifting away from player such as Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL) and other search engine providers to a pack of innovators who are attempting to take analytic queries to the next level via managed metadata and other approaches.
July 8, 2020
- Matillion Exchange Enables Faster Data Innovation with Community Contributed Pre-Built ETL Workflows
- Yellowbrick and Sonra Partner to Modernize Data Warehouses
July 7, 2020
- Dynatrace Expands AI-Powered Observability for Kubernetes Environments
- AtScale Expands COVID-19 Insights Model to Help Global Organizations Understand the New Normal
- Qubole Expands Integration with Informatica’s AI-driven Data Engineering Integration
- Virtual Esri User Conference to Explore How GIS Interconnects the World
- Dremio to Host Cloud Data Lake Conference
July 6, 2020
- Data Science Team at Columbia to Enhance Probabilistic Programming
- Exasol Announces Partnership with TEKsystems Global Services
- Syniti Addresses Growing Demand with Geographic Expansion of Europe, Africa to include Middle East Team
July 2, 2020
- Anaconda Releases 2020 State of Data Science Survey Results
- Big Data Analytics Among Top Three Deployment Priorities for Enterprises, Says Frost & Sullivan
- Informatica Acquires Compact Solutions
- Confluent Announces Infinite Retention for Apache Kafka in Confluent Cloud
- BP Invests $5M in Geospatial Analytics Software Company Satelytics
- Data Visualization Gets Artificial Intelligence Boost with $5M NSF Grant
- LSU CS Professor Studies COVID-19 Disparities on Social Media
July 1, 2020
- OmniSci Powers New Website Enabling Public to View House-by-House Information On Flint Water Crisis
- Aerospike Adds New Partners to Meet Growing Demand in APAC Region
- Informatica, The ADAPT Research Centre Collaborate to Accelerate AI Research, Development
Most Read Features
- Big Data File Formats Demystified
- Nvidia Destroys TPCx-BB Benchmark with GPUs
- BI Tools — Are They Enough to Build a Data-Driven Culture?
- How to Build a Better Machine Learning Pipeline
- How COVID-19 Is Impacting the Market for Data Jobs
- Databricks Brings Data Science, Engineering Together with New Workspace
- Understanding Your Options for Stream Processing Frameworks
- SAS Provides Big Data Solutions for… Bees?
- MongoDB Steps Up Game with MongoDB Cloud
- Is Python Strangling R to Death?
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- New Report Ranks Countries by COVID-19 Safety
- Spark 3.0 Brings Big SQL Speed-Up, Better Python Hooks
- IBM Brings Back a Netezza, Attacks Yellowbrick
- Blurred Lines: SAS and Microsoft To Go Deep in Analytics Partnership
- New Map Shows Hundreds of Counties in the COVID-19 Endgame — and Thousands on the Uptick
- U.S. Special Ops Launches $600M Analytics Effort
- NIH Launches Massive Initiative for COVID-19 Patient Data Analytics
- War Unfolding for Control of Elasticsearch
- AWS Upgrades SageMaker Labeling Tool
- Nebula Graph Joins Database Race
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- HSBC Joins Data Privacy Firm Privitar’s Series C Financing Round with $7M Investment
- D2iQ Unveils KUDO for Kubeflow to Accelerate Enterprise-Grade Machine Learning on Kubernetes
- SAS Debuts Tools to Gauge Risks and Impacts of Reopening
- Databricks Introduces Delta Engine, Acquires Redash
- Technology Aims to Provide Cloud Efficiency for Databases During Data-Intensive COVID-19 Pandemic
- Cloudera Debuts its Cloudera Data Platform Private Cloud
- The Linux Foundation Cloud Engineer Bootcamp Announced
- Alation Launches Data Governance Initiatives
- New Actian Vector for Hadoop Enables Real-time and Operational Analytics
- MariaDB Announces the General Availability of MariaDB Community Server 10.5
- More This Just In…