Coveo, Microsoft, Sinequa Lead Insight Engine Market
Among the areas where natural language processing is making inroads is so-called “insight engines” that are projected to account for half of analytic queries by 2019. Indeed, enterprise search is being supplanted by voice and automated voice commands, according to Gartner Inc. (NYSE: IT).
The market analyst released it latest “Magic Quadrant” rankings in late March that include a trio of “market leaders” along with a growing list of challengers that includes established vendors moving into the nascent market along with a batch of dedicated startups.
Among the market leaders, Gartner ranked Coveo Solutions highest in terms of overall vision and ability to execute its strategy, followed by Microsoft and Sinequa. Coveo, Quebec City, Canada, provides an intelligent search platform that combines machine learning and usage analytics tools. Its enterprise and web site search technologies, including plugins for platforms such as Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM).
“Coveo is shifting its emphasis to cloud delivery and suggesting that enterprises consider hybrid or cloud installations,” noted Gartner, adding that the company is making headway with its cloud-based platform.
The market researcher meanwhile cited Microsoft’s (NASDAQ: MSFT) graph search and contextual analysis of worker behavioral history and task history as “particularly effective within Microsoft systems.”
Paris-based Sinequa develops cognitive technology based on its flagship ES platform to combine “human-driven interactions with machine-assisted analysis” as the basis of its insight engine that serves as an “auxiliary brain” for analytics users.
Gartner defined insight engines as platforms for applying “relevancy methods to describe, discover, organize and analyze data.” Insight engines are intended to extend beyond enterprise search by providing the capability to extract insights without interacting with content via search boxes. Instead, natural language and “rich” context are used.
Austria-based Mindbreeze lead the market challengers with its search appliance along with Dassault Systems (Exalead), IBM (Watson Explorer), Hewlett Packed Enterprise (NYSE: HPE, Intelligent Data Operating Layer) and Lucidworks (Fusion). Insight engine startups identified by Gartner as “visionaries” included Attivio (Active Intelligence Engine), the Australian firm Funnelback and Smartlogic (Semaphore).
“No vendor or solution is perfect, and vendors are making progress at different paces,” Gartner concluded. “Current technologies differ greatly in their ability to respond to the requirements for natural, total and proactive search.”
Leading insight engine vendors all offer natural language interfaces, enterprise metadata management and “discovery of information without conscious user query,” the market analyst added.
Success in the maturing insight engine market will be closely tied to the ability to manage enterprise metadata, Gartner predicted. “Metadata is one key to ensuring that individual information investments can be linked, aligned and are able to leverage each other.”
As enterprise search embraces emerging tools such as natural language processing, the market is steadily shifting away from player such as Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL) and other search engine providers to a pack of innovators who are attempting to take analytic queries to the next level via managed metadata and other approaches.
October 19, 2017
- MapR Awarded Best Big Data Product for Internet of Things and Companies Driving Innovation
- SAP Announces Third Quarter Results
- SAS Helps Companies Protect Personal Data and Meet GDPR Requirements
- MapD Announces Partnership with IBM for Enterprise Analytics
- Flow.ai Launches Conversational AI Toolkit
October 18, 2017
- Talend Announces Winners of 2017 Talend Data Masters Awards
- Dataguise Announces Support for General Data Protection Requirement Articles 15 and 17
- Cloudera and Hitachi Form Strategic Partnership to Strengthen Adoption of Cloudera Enterprise
October 17, 2017
- MapR Launches Managed Services for Improved DataOps
- Talend Unveils New Version of Talend Integration Cloud
- Splunk Acquires SignalSense
- In-Memory Computing Summit North America 2017 Announces Keynote Speakers
- Teradata Teams with Dataguise to Deliver DgSecure Software to Enterprise Customers
October 16, 2017
October 13, 2017
October 12, 2017
- New Release of SAP Vora Helps Simplify Big Data Transformation
- AWS and Microsoft Announce Gluon
- NSF Awards TACC and University of Louisville $600,000 Grant for Data Science Education
October 11, 2017
Most Read Features
- Hadoop Was Hard to Find at Strata This Week
- 9 Must-Have Skills to Land Top Big Data Jobs in 2015
- Solving the ‘Last Mile’ Problem in Data Science
- Looker’s Audacious Moonshot to Outgrow Oracle
- How TD Bank Made Its Data Lake More Usable
- Iguazio, the Anti-Hadoop, Goes GA
- Which Type of SSD is Best: SATA, SAS, or PCIe?
- The Data Science Inside the Bloomberg Terminal
- Five Companies to Watch at Strata Data Conference
- Cloud In, Hadoop Out as Hot Repository for Big Data
- More Features…
Most Read News In Brief
- Why Gartner Dropped Big Data Off the Hype Curve
- Machine Learning Used to Value Real Estate
- Strata Data Conference Kicks Off in New York
- This Data Lake Runs On Graph
- MongoDB Files For IPO
- ‘Internet of Drones’ Adds AI
- Microsoft Surges in Gartner Quadrant with Power BI
- Analytics Remains Top Data Tech, Survey Says
- Former Yahoo Unit Releases Vespa Engine
- H2O Ups AI Ante Via Nvidia GPU Integration
- More News In Brief…
Most Read This Just In
- Gartner Reveals the 2017 Hype Cycle for Data Management
- Datanami Reveals Winners of Second Annual Readers’ and Editors’ Choice Awards
- MarkLogic Releases New Enterprise-Class Data Hub Framework
- Splunk Acquires Rocana Assets
- IBM Unveils New Analytics System for Fast Access to Data Science
- Paxata and FIMA Study Shows Automated Information Management is Driving Growth in Financial Services
- Anaconda and Microsoft Partner to Deliver Python-Powered Machine Learning
- Zaloni Changes the Game in the Data Lake with New Machine-learning Data Matching Technology
- MicroStrategy Announces Availability of MicroStrategy 10.9
- TIBCO Acquires Data Virtualization Business from Cisco
- More This Just In…